How loud is your fuel pump?

GunnerDLR

Okay, a couple months into owning my 2002 LeMans, and I absolutely love it!  I can't even describe it really, but it just feels "right".

But, my fuel pump (external) has been "buzzy".  I hear it when I turn the key on .. for a second it runs to build pressure.  No issues there, I expect that.  The other day though, coming home from work I heard a different noise .... easily noticeable at idle and at slow speeds.  I pulled off and checked; it was the fuel pump, just much louder than normal.  It was still working and I was close to home, so kept going. 

Yesterday morning went out and started it and it was back to normal.  Went for a quick ride and it did not get loud.  The only difference I can think of is it was much more hot and humid outside coming home than during my ride in the morning.

Anybody have issues or experience with a temperature-sensitive fuel pump?  I'm thinking about grabbing a new one before this one dies and leaves me stranded, but figured I'd check with you Gentlemen first.  Surely this isn't normal?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Dale

The fuel pump on my Triumph was loud. The one on the Guzzi is barely noticeable. I want to be able to hear it when it's working but that about it.

Could be a few things: fuel filter, clogged or blocked gas tank vent, wire connection at pump, ignition switch could be dirty or vapor lock if it's hot out. Check those first would be my knee jerk reaction.

If the fuel filter gets plugged off the pressure ramps up from 45 to about 70 psi then it gets noisy, I had this on an EV with a rusty steel tank but I can't imagine what would block the filter on a Nylon tank.

It would also fix itself when stopped, I figure some of the rust would drop off the surface leaving a bit of a path for a while but soon came back.

No need to replace the filter just take it off and back flush this will get most of it out and let you see what the problem was.

On the EV it was followed shortly after by a loss of power on the hills as the injectors were getting starved.

Replace the filter . After you get the old one off , use a hacksaw not any type of  powered  tool to cut the filter apart to see how bad it looks .

• Like 1

See ... that's why this site is awesome.  Wouldn't have thought of the filter.  I will check/change it and go from there.

Thank you!

Dale

Dale,

This a post by Scud relating to the fuel filter. I cut and pasted it, haven't figured out how to use the "quote"feature yet.

OEM Part

• Name: Fuel Filter - with external pump and filter on frame, 2002 and earlier

• Moto Guzzi Part Number: 30106000

Replacement Part

• Brand or Source: Wix (and probably several other brands)

• Part number:  33310

• Fits Isuzu Trooper, all years

• Differences from OEM:  Shorter and smaller diameter

• Other Comments: The OEM filter rubs on the tank, this smaller filter should not rub on the tank. This is a good time to replace the fuel lines. You need about 6 feet of 5/16 (8mm) high pressure line for fuel injection. Cut the line from pump to filter a bit longer - to reach the shorter Wix filter. While you're at it, install solid clamps (not the worm-gear kind that cut into the fuel line). I found this filter referred to by others on the forum, some said they wrapped it in electrical tape to increase the diameter and hold it snugly in the two clamps. However, I found that the rubber sheet that insulates the shock reservoir (part #00823915045) is a perfect fit as a second layer on top of the original sheet of rubber. 

post-9991-0-40858300-1479364756_thumb.jp

Rob

• 1 month later...

Did you ever solve the noisy fuel pump issue?

If you have an electric petcock (chrome thing hanging down under tank) if the coil is open circuit I believe the pump will be able to suck it open but will be extra noisy.

I recommend strapping the two wires to the body with a ty-wrap so they don't break off where they emerge from the epoxy.