My 2003 V11 Sport Modifications

BLIGHT

Hey guys,

I finally got the V11 Sport on Sunday.... it's a real beauty!!!

Here she is:

IMAG0455_zpsodhroe88.jpg

There are a few cosmetic and technical things to sort out, but overall, I love the bike!

It's a welcome addition to my stable! (er, manger?)

In the first 24 hrs I have made a few changes... new rev-cone SS muffs and removed the goofy plastic swingarm cover, oh and removed the little alloy plate over the rear master cylinder...shouldn't even be there in the 1st place:

IMAG0458_zpsaaosdcxi.jpg

IMAG0459_zpsp1fdbno7.jpg

IMAG0460_zpsybzh1e51.jpg

The straight-thru SS Chinese pipes sound great, weigh 4 lbs less than the bulky M4's, and make the bike look 20 lbs lighter visually!

I also think getting rid of the cheesy plastic swingarm cover opens up the rear end and makes it a lot lighter looking visually.

There will be a lot more to come!! I'll include some initial ride observations too in another reply....

BLIGHT 

• Like 1

Where did the mufflers come from?

I got 'em from AliExpress.com (China) I buy mufflers and other motorcycle bits from that site all the time, and the prices are good.

BLIGHT

I got 'em from AliExpress.com (China) I buy mufflers and other motorcycle bits from that site all the time, and the prices are good.

BLIGHT

Do you have a link to the specific item? I assume they aren't designed for the V11? Did you have to cut the original parts?

BLIGHT

Do you have a link to the specific item? I assume they aren't designed for the V11? Did you have to cut the original parts?

The bike had some gigantic M4 cans... I just removed the cans and re-used the hanger brackets and 2" tail pipes.

I got some 3/16" SS pop rivets and used 3 per side to attach the brackets to the SS Chinese cans. I would not recommend using aluminum rivets.... they are too weak!

Here are the universal mufflers I got:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/38-51MM-Motorcycle-GP-Stainelss-steel-Exhaust-Muffler-Slip-on-With-Moveable-DB-Killer-Dirt-Bike/32460592482.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.9k8cWz

Beware, this link is only active as long as the seller has inventory. Similar muffs in various styles can be found searching the site.

I buy stuff all the time on AliExpress.com... kind of a Chinese Amazon.com...

Shipping from China can take a couple of weeks, so don't check your mailbox every day.... it will show up eventually!

BLIGHT

Looking forward to the project. I also found the bright rear brake master cylinder guard distracting (over the black drivetrain). I dealt with it by powdercoating it flat black.  I like the small carbon fiber rear fender by Ghezz-Brian (they also sell belly pans if that interests you).  Not everybody likes that fender, though. Here's a thread about it:  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18833

looks good without the hugger....but it does rain where I live. 

Yeah, I thought about that. California doesn't get as much rain as most places.

Also, I seldom if ever ride in the rain.... just no fun to get all cold & wet and ride on slippery streets with oil seeping upwards from the pavement.

I'll be doing a rear-fender-ectomy as well with a cat-eye led tail light and some small led turn signals.

I put on some smaller rectangular mirrors last night, after raising the fork tubes about 3/4".... makes it turn in a little easier.

Dialed out some front comp-damping and increased the rebound a bit.... that stock Marzocchi fork is pretty sweet from what I'm used to!

I need to get some taller clip-ons tho... these hurt my wrists and hands, and I get a bit of a stiff neck too on rough roads (yep, I'm an old fart whiner)

The PO installed a PCIII and I don't think it's set up very well for 0-400 ft. above sea-level, where I ride mostly.

Need to download a better map or edit the one that's in there.

It's a hard starter too, takes a lot of cranking hot or cold, and has a big flat spot just over 3K rpm... actually cuts out too at that rpm and part-throttle roll on.

I'll fix it.... that's all part of the fun of playing with a 'new' bike to make it fit you!

The PO installed a PCIII and I don't think it's set up very well for 0-400 ft. above sea-level, where I ride mostly.

Need to download a better map or edit the one that's in there.

OR edit the PC right into the trash bin.. these bikes can be set up perfect w/out the Power Commander. if it still has the stock crossover ditch that too.

I get the considered opinion that the "PC" has been superseded by better methods (thanks *Beard* and the guzzidiag team! :thumbsup:), but the stock crossover?

It doesn't seem to mess up my Sport (with the Mistral canisters) so much. Seems there are some particular dyno charts that show good results with the stock crossover ("expansion chamber") . . .

Well, a lot to consider in tuning up this baby... it seems to have the stock 'expansion-chamber' as y'all call it.

The M4 cans and the new Chinese rev-cone pipes are truly free-flow perf-core mufflers.

I haven't been into the airbox yet but it might have a free-flow K&N or similar free-flow filter.

It has been 'de-snorkeled' as well.

Today I went for another ride to evaluate the 'jetting' and it's just not right.

Still have yet to delve into the PCIII maps and download-edit-upload process, but I've worked thru similar systems on other EFI bikes in my garage.

Right now? My Harley XR1200 will absolutely spank this V11 in a drag race... the XR is pretty fast, even allowing for the 103cc displacement advantage and a definite weight disadvantage.

I have an EFI controller on the Harley, K&N filter, 2:1 custom exhaust (by me) and a single old Prindle CF 2" ID canister.

Cheers,

BLIGHT

The starting issue is fixable.

Yes, it seems so much better with a new battery installed today!

Turns over a lot faster and lights up with more enthusiasm.

Looking forward to the project. I also found the bright rear brake master cylinder guard distracting (over the black drivetrain). I dealt with it by powdercoating it flat black.  I like the small carbon fiber rear fender by Ghezz-Brian (they also sell belly pans if that interests you).  Not everybody likes that fender, though. Here's a thread about it:  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18833

Short term plans are to paint it 'Guards Red' (Porsche color) which is a bit 'redder' than the Corsa red, according to my paint guru.

I bought an ebay V11 tank that was all scratched-up... already stripped it and primed it... ready for paint. (gold-black emblems)

I will keep the OEM 'grape Jelly-Belly' tank unless someone here wants it or put it up on ebay.

After removing and painting the remaining bodywork it will look something like this, in this somewhat-poorly photo-edited image: (please visually-omit the plastic swingarm cover and heel guard over rear master cylinder)

NORTON%20TANK%20on%20V11_zpsibge9erf.jpg

BLIGHT