How many relays?

footgoose

So, check it out: the wiring harness schematics are separated into two sections. The one pictured is for the "Electrical System", P.10 of the 1999-2001 Parts Guide. This is, basically, for the lighting, switching, horns, charging, and back of the fuse block (Fuses 3-8). This part of the electrical system utilizes the front three relays (Start, Lights, and Neutral). (This is the Go_Winkie side of the electrical system.)

Page 38 shows the "Injection Electrical System" with the back two relays (ECU and FI) and power to the front two fuses. (This is the part of the electrical system that operates outside the "Go_Winkie).

There are the five relays, then. The questions remain whether the 1100Sort-i and Centauro also have five relays. And whether the pictured V11 was fitted with previous generation harness or was modified by a previous owner that didn't trust the 5-realy set-up. :huh2:

Earliest Sport 1100/ carbs have three relays (two in the 'electrical system' and one for the CDI/coil ignition).

Both the Centauro and Sport-i Parts Catalogs specify four relays (two each for the two separate electrical systems.) Anyone with an injected 1100 Sport-i or Centauro to take a look under the seat?

Earliest Sport 1100/ carbs have three relays (two in the 'electrical system' and one for the CDI/coil ignition).

Both the Centauro and Sport-i Parts Catalogs specify four relays (two each for the two separate electrical systems.) Anyone with an injected 1100 Sport-i or Centauro to take a look under the seat?

I'm 99% sure that my Centauro had 4 relays. I told a guy to get 5 one time, and he bitched me out because it only needed 4 and he'd spent $3 too much. (Guzzi content)  I told him that if one fails you'll have a spare right in your tool kit.  :huh2: This is back in the olden days of course. :oldgit:

If someone with a Sport-i could have a look, we might be assured that the early injected wiring was four relays, and the carbs: three.

It's looking more like the V11 in question has had some fairly serious wiring modifications.

For sure, the 1100 spot has 3. 

Of which, you mean the earliest SPOrT 1100 with the carburetors?

It would be simple on a V11 5-relay to eliminate the middle (Neutral/"Sidestand") relay by shorting the sidestand switch to defeat its safety function.  Eliminating a second relay could be acheived by combining the functions of the front two relays (Start and Lights). On the early V11 Sports, those are somewhat combined anyway.

Certainly a better solution to simply use High Current relays. :oldgit:

1996-Moto-Guzzi-Sport-1100-R-Side-Rear.j

[bTW (off topic): beware of the rear drive mounting bolts going rogue and walking out into the wheel on the 1100!]