Oil pressure switch spanner size.

68C

Hi all, bit of silly question, I need to replace my oil pressure switch but having trouble finding the spanner/socket size, access not good with tank and fairing on and did not want to strip bike down until I knew I had the right tool. If anyone has the switch to hand perhaps the could measure it for me. It seems to be around 22mm.

Just to update this post in case anyone looks at it in the future.

Got the oil pressure switch out, measures up as 21mm. I tried a 13/16" standard UK plug socket, would not fit. In the end I used a Snap-On 7/8" plug socket from my aircraft toolbox which worked fine. I did notice the switch is very close to a raised part of the engine block so a cheaper socket may need grinding down a little.

To be fair to you Luhbo, I believe continental Europe uses 21mm as a plug wrench, the UK and probably others use 13/16". The switch was very tight, needed the socket with an extension bar and a 2 foot piece of pipe to shift it.

As it was so tight and as it has the round connector I assume this is the original switch

.. what answers another question I "Always Wanted to Know []But Were Afraid to Ask"

This morning I made 60km in heavy rain, the pressure light brightly on for nearly the whole distance. What's the problem with your's?

Hubert

Replaced the oil pressure switch with a BMW320 car item.

My local auto parts shop supplied it as a Cambiare VE706070 which had a flat connector.

I cut the round stud off the old switch to make up a short adapter lead, pleased to see that revealed it was hollow which made soldering a wire into it easy. Crimped a flat female connecter to the other end, a little heat shrink and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover.

Oil pressure light now works OK, ignition on-engine not running = light on. Engine running = light out. Suprised it took about five seconds for the light to come back on when I stopped the engine, guess that is a good sign.

rps20170629_193742.jpg

rps20170629_193854.jpg

... Suprised it took about five seconds for the light to come back on when I stopped the engine, guess that is a good sign.

That was probably a cold engine. In the morning I can watch the same, on hot days' evenings and/or after some Autobahn rush sometimes the light flickers at low idle already (100°C). 

Nice find, by the way. In most shops nowadays it's nearly impossible to get a spare part just by description. Either you have a correct number or the car documents or you're wasting your time.

Suprised it took about five seconds for the light to come back on when I stopped the engine, guess that is a good sign.

Yes it is. On an aircraft with (naturally) a mechanical oil pressure gauge.. watching how slowly pressure bleeds at shut down is a good sign of how good the main bearings are. 5 seconds? Pretty good.  :oldgit: