linked brakes fitted to V11

kool keef

Hi All

Has anyone linked the brakes on their V11?  Like on the old Guzzi's.  I did this years ago on a Magni Sfida and the brakes were brilliant.

I'm interested to try it on my new V11 creation, but need to know the best master cylinder to use.  Any bright ideas?

Thanks.

Kool Keef (new member)vii 006.jpg

Hey, I see this is your first post, welcome. I think we need to see a little more about this Retro-LeMans V11...  :pic:  

As for linked brakes, I dunno, but I'm not sure that it would be worth the effort. I barely even use the rear brake - the front brake is really good and I think a little engine braking is all the rear needs.

I do not think it would work very successfully given the older linked braked bikes had similar size calipers front and rear. I feel that the California's system proportioning valve when used with a smaller V11 rear caliper would result in a much larger rear brake bias than it should be. Our bikes have a 11mm diameter rear master cylinder while the California uses something like a 15/16mm diameter one. My V65 had linked brakes and I could not fault the set up at all.

Rob

• Like 2

I had a go at it without much success.

I simply ran a long braided hose from the rear master cylinder to the left front caliper and a new single braided line from the front master cylinder to the right front caliper. I had to use a longer rear brake switch so I could mount the two pipes to the rear master cylinder.

Immediate problem was the front brake lever very hard to pull and the rear brake pedal had too much travel.

I then tried an old 12mm bore master cylinder for the front brake, this made things much better but did not match the clutch master cylinder. I then bolted another old master cylinder alongside the existing rear master cylinder and attached the new rear to front pipe to that. Had to mess about making a 'Y' shaped rod so both "rear" master cylinders were activated by the the rear brake pedal. This helped a lot. Then I found the rear brake pads wore out very quickly as they were getting used more. I did buy a pair of clutch and front brake radial master cylinders from Ebay but lost my nerve when I saw how badly made they looked.

As my prototype was not too pretty I took it all off so would not have any problems with the annual Ministry of Transport safety check.

Did not refit it.

In hindsight perhaps a rigid pipe would have been better from the rear master cylinder to the front of the frame then a short braided hose to the left caliper. I still think using two rear master cylinders with a 'y' rod to the rear brake lever is the way to go but have some way of adjusting the bias to allow good braking at the front without locking up the rear and so perhaps reduce rear pad wear. I have been looking for a 12mm front master cylinder that would match the clutch one. Some late 90's Italian bike with a single front disc?

Sweet baby Jesus.

A solution looking for a problem.

Sizing the master cylinders will be critical. Get that sorted and go from there.

This is a good starting point:

mastercylinder.gif

https://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

• Like 1

Thanks swooshdave, that chart is exactly what's required!  I'll measure the pistons and work out what's needed. 

My V50 with it's original linked brakes has a copper brake pipe for most of the run to the front (as suggested by 68c)

I know from previous experience of owning my Magni, that if the linked brakes can be well ballanced, the set up makes for very controlled braking.  Like the V50, the front lever is redundant in most braking situations.

As noted the current rear master is way too small for two calipers. You may need to go to a vintage rear master (Ducati 900SS Bevel) to find one big enough? I need to go to the gallery to see what brakes you're actually using now.

Thanks guys, the Cali idea makes sense - I should have thought of that!  I've just put some pictures on the gallery if you're interested.

You really need to create a new thread and tell us way more details about the bike. Pretty please!?!

• Like 1

I have some of the plumbing from an EV including the splitter, long pipe/tube from rear to front and maybe the rubber hose to front caliper.. yours for shipping if you need it.. Assume your in the USA.

Linked brakes are a bandaid for really old Harley riders or cadgers who instinctively push with a foot.  In a panic situation you want your right hand to be the go to reflex, because that front wheel is what is going to stop you.  I did the opposite change on my old Honda GL1200 and un-linked the brakes.

I never thought I would like linked brakes but they work quite well on my EV.  I never thought I would like floorboards but they work quite well on my EV.

I don't think I'd like them on my Sport but..................