V11 LE MANS JAMMED GEAR LEVER

Retroman

Hi,

Can any of you cast light on to why my Guzzi's gear lever has stuck in first gear and won't budge?

Happened just as I was going up the ramp for the Rotterdam Ferry.

Oh how I laughed !!

The clutch appears fine, no drag etc so I don't think that is the problem.

Any ideas would be much appreciated and any contact details for Bruce Rawsthorne who I am told would be able to sort out the fault.

Thanks,

Nigel.

Likely the "pawl spring" under the left side cover for the shift mechanism. Lots of good info here  the replacement procedure. Not a bad job, really.

Don't be surprised if it is the shift lever pivot bolt . Loosen the jam nut and back the pivot bolt out two turns and see if you can move the shifter.

if so , remove the jam nut then the bolt . Lubricate everything and reassemble .

Hi,

Can any of you cast light on to why my Guzzi's gear lever has stuck in first gear and won't budge?

The lever is working, goes up and down and centers inbetween but the gears don't follow, or is it that the lever has stuck, doesn't come back for instance?

edit: one has to be quick here ;)

Like GStallons says, service and adjust the linkage first. The pivot bolt can get gummed up or overtight, which restricts movement. Also, the forward part of the linkage can jam between the gearbox and the starter if the bolt loosens or is installed backwards. Also check the small arm at the front of the linkage to see if the pinch bolt has worked loose. If that lever slides on the shaft, it can also jam in the starter.

Maybe take the starter out, which gives you a clear view of what's going on and easier access to all the linkage. If if shifts with the starter out, you've found the problem. If not, you needed to take the starter out anyway to remove the pre-selector from the gearbox (that's where the springs live).

FWIW - A broken pawl spring results in a floppy lever, not a stuck lever.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the good advice.

I have managed to get the side cover off and have found that the spring has snapped so have one on order.

Now the gear lever was stuck in first when it broke and the selector forks are able to slide some distance either way on their respective shafts.

Any ideas how you position them so that the round lugs engage in the respective channels in the selector gears when you put the side panel back on again.

Any links to photos would be much appreciated as cannot find anything current on thus site at the moment.

Thanks again,

Nigel.

Get the rear wheel up and move the selector rings until you can rotate the rear wheel. Then it's in neutral. If you look closely while you move those rings, you can see how they engage - and disengage - the gears.

Then get your preselector to neutral, I think first is where the dots on the gears align, then neutral is one click up. Dry fit it to be sure. you can even put the level on temporarily and run it through the gears as you rotate the rear wheel. Make sure everything is in neutral before you apply sealant.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20021&p=222646

What scud said, and I would add what I did is move the gears slightly with my fingers till each spins freely. spin the rear wheel to be sure.

Pay close attn to how the selector mechanism comes apart to get it back right, since it has to come out -and go back partially assembled. Neutral is where scud said. You can be sure of neutral by observing that the neutral switch "spring ball" falls into the small dimple on the back side of the selector gear.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the good advice.

I have managed to get the side cover off and have found that the spring has snapped so have one on order.

Now the gear lever was stuck in first when it broke and the selector forks are able to slide some distance either way on their respective shafts.

Any ideas how you position them so that the round lugs engage in the respective channels in the selector gears when you put the side panel back on again.

Any links to photos would be much appreciated as cannot find anything current on thus site at the moment.

Thanks again,

Nigel.

This is neutral for both gears and cover plate shift mechanism:

gears.jpgplate.jpg

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all the good advice.
More by luck than skill I managed to get the gearbox side plate off without breaking anything and found the gearbox ratchet return spring snapped off in the usual place and surprisingly unwound.
As a precautionary measure I have replaced all three springs in the selector mechanism courtesy of Gutsibits and with a quick shove on the rear wheel to take the stress out of the gears the lower left hand selector became free and moving it across bingo it went straight into neutral making it a piece of cake to put the side plate back on with the selector gears engaged.
Buying an ABBA stand some time ago has proved a blessing.
The gearbox is now working perfectly although on a 150 mile test run today the neutral light has started flickering and is now on all the time.
Maybe just a loose connection or the switch has given up having been disturbed but what struck me with this surgery is that the circlips holding the gear selector cogs on are a loose fit even thought they have been replaced with the same size that came off.
I hope one of these has not come off allowing the selector gear to lift and activate the neutral switch.
I will look at the more obvious remedies before opening the gearbox again but at least it wont take me as long next time now I know how it all goes together.
Fingers crossed.
What a great forum this is.
Thanks again,
Nigel.

• Like 2

Take the wire off ( w/the key on ) and the light should be off . If it is , remove the neutral switch and clean it w/contact cleaner . Then check it w/an ohm meter to see if you can detect when the switch is opened and closed . If this works reinstall the switch and put it all back together .

• Like 1