2002 Lemans - new transmission problem

dp.guzzi

37,000 miles on bike. I have had broken springs in the past. The current problem is that I have neutral, 1st and 2nd. I figured it was a broken pawl spring. I have it disassembled, but the springs all look ok. Now what?

How does the preselector work? Can you go through the gears on the bench?

How is the Rube Goldberg shift mechanism, tight? Loose? Was/is the action free top to bottom?

If all is good there, take a look at the transmission itself.

Do what Czakky says first. If that doesn't solve it, here's a little more guidance on looking at the tranny:

By disassembled, do you mean you have removed the side cover (shift pre-selector) from the tranny - but the rest of the bike is intact?

If so, get the rear wheel off the ground and move the shift arms on the shafts so you can see how they engage each gear. It will take a little studying - perhaps of the parts manual illustration of the gears - but you should be able to put it in each gear manually. You'll also want to take the spark plugs out so you can turn the wheel while it's in gear and see what's going on in there - might need two people.  A wheel turner and a gear watcher.

There are 4 shifter forks and they all move freely. With the wheel off the ground and the clutch pulled in, the rear wheel rotates only about 30 degrees. Uh oh. What's going on?

The wheel spins freely now - the selector fork was not in the middle of its shaft. So that's ok now. I was looking for good pictures of the transmission gears. Any recommendations for helpful pictures or diagrams?

Get yourself a pdf of the spare parts diagram (see fileshare section of this forum). Go into Section C (pages C13 and C14 specifically) for the details of the transmission. There are four selector cogs - attached to the four shift arms. Two are single-sided (part number 8 with cogs on one side and flat on the other) - two are double-sided (part number 2 with cogs on both sides). So there are six faces with cogs that engage each of the six drive gears (labeled in diagram on those pages). In neutral, none of the cogs are engaged. When you study the diagram, you can see which cog engages which gear. If you manually engage more than one gear at a time the tranny will lock up (as you experienced).

Armed with that diagram, you should be able to run through all the gears just by moving the cogs by hand. If you can't then you have a potentially serious problem. But if you can shift through all gears, the problem is probably with the pre-selector and you should consult the "shift-improvement" thread.

I'd check the side cover mechanism first. The other side is rather robust.

When you say you have only 1. and 2. then take the cover, plug on the lever and check whether you can shift the wheels up and down through the gears.

Well, we took it apart, replaced two of the springs even though there was nothing wrong with them visually, and put it back together. It shifts fine now in all gears. I don't know why it works now but I do have a theory. I think it just wanted to know that somebody cares.

• Like 2

"I think it just wanted to know that somebody cares."

Is this a corollary to the adage:

"Sometimes, an Italian woman will stab you for no reason at all."

• Like 2

Oh geeze thanks docc, Im married to one and have three Italian ladies in the garage.  I ll be sleeping with one eye open from now on!

• Like 1

Oh geeze thanks docc, Im married to one and have three Italian ladies in the garage.  I ll be sleeping with one eye open from now on!

You may want to sleep with both eyes open with that combination under the roof.