V11 vs the new V7

polebridge

The Griso and V11 Sport are close to the same weight, depending on the year and model, within a dozen lbs.. Seat height is the same. Griso wheelbase is 3" longer with the rake kicked out 1-2 deg. Not sure about the height of the motor in the frame. Possibly that's what makes it feel bigger. I haven't ridden one.

I'd like to see those both on a scale.

It's the frame rails and fuel tank that make it seem bigger. It's very wide as you look down.

I later found my Rosso Corsa. It still loses a lot of power up high, but that just means I have to rev it higher and the fun comes back. It's a lot heavier but I'm working on that. 

I also have a Rosso Corsa but it's the rider that's much heavier.   The bike is fine.

I also wonder about what Triumph has done with the Thruxton.  That is adding water cooling in such a way as to maintain the classic look of the bike while giving it a more modern feel and level of power.  Perhaps MG might consider something along those lines?  

I also wonder what MG would look like if they had not dropped out of racing back in the 50s?  Perhaps I would not like them so much in that case.

Actual weights might fool you. It did me..

First, the Lario. I filled the tanks so we would be at least have the same "ready to ride" weights.
The Lario weighs 205 lbs on the Front wheel and 234 on the rear. All up weight 439 minus 29.7 lbs of fuel= 409.3 empty. I would have thought it was heavier. The Lario *does* have HB racks.. call it 5 lbs or so for a little over 400 lbs empty.

The Monza. 186 front 210 rear=405 lbs all up. minus 26.4 lbs of fuel= 378.6 empty.

Scura. 247 front 290 rear= 537 lbs all up. I ran out of fuel.. it was about 1 inch below the filler neck, so I'd say a gallon or less, but if it was full it carries 37.95 lbs of fuel for 499.05 empty. I'll say it was a gallon low and call it 505. I would have thought it was heavier. 

I have a Griso and the wife has the V11. They weigh near the same, the Griso being slightly heavier. The Griso does feel heavier at no to low speed stuff, but once you get moving the two feel about the same weight wise. The Griso is heavier but it carries it weight lower, so they feel about the same weight when moving. They do handle different, and the seating position is much more of a couch with the Griso (everything is relative, to me the Griso is a couch).

The Lario feels worlds lighter, and no doubt it is.

There is a guy in Cali doing big bore and 4v per cylinder conversions for the small block. That is probably the only way I would own a modern small block. The Lario could use the big bore kit as well, but with something that old you kinda have to accept it for what it is.

I don't hold out much hope for the factory making something interesting enough for me to buy. I used to have hope, but it has been so long I can't get excited about where Guzzi is now and what they are building. I thought the additional resources of Piaggio would allow them to be the company they wanted to be. But it seems they have become a red headed step child that only gets to make certain kinds of motorcycles (retro little bikes and cruisers). I would love to see them build something outside the box again, something that would make the kind of impression the Original LeMans did, or the V11sport, or the MGS01, or the Griso (although the original Griso that never was was the Griso I wanted). Oh, there I go, thinking crazy thoughts again. Sorry.