Sticking clutch?

docc

As many of you know, my wishful thinking that my clutch slave had failed burst like a bubble.

A couple other members have reported sticking clutch plates. In one case, the friction material came off one of the plates and gummed up the input shaft.

grossohc, what did you find when you got into the clutch?

["The problem was the plates sticking on the flywheel. Anyway the only thing I didn't buy for this job was a new clutch line. So just dive in there and have fun Docc."], posted by grossohc in Andy York's "Clutch Slave" thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19794&p=222978

Docc

There was wear on the splines. So I just thought the plates are sticking on the grooves. But I also replaced the springs and now the lever pressure is slightly harder than it was. Made me think when I put it all back together that it could have been the original springs on there way out ( getting weaker) as some were slightly shorter when I compared them. But nobody is going to go to all the trouble of stripping the bike down and only replacing the springs ( or are they?). Any way just got the bike's MOT done and out for a 200 mile blast and all seems well. with just a smidgen of paranoia

• Like 1

Is it this piece? And, Chuck, is it this (input "shaft" = input "hub?")

IMG_0250.JPG

[ABOVE: Tomchri's  input hub / "clutch gear"]

docc

I found a guy over here making the tool to take off the gear hub, you need one. I bought one about 85-90$

tom

Docc , Clean this up as much as possible with a wire bristle brush , the hubs and outer perimeter teeth also .  PM me your mailing address and I will send you a dry film graphite spray to apply to the exposed surfaces .

Soooo, I haven't got that far yet! That is an image Tomchri sent me.

So, grossohc, which part did you have the excessive wear?

My "clutch gear" 04211600

Looks pretty knackered. Enough to stop the clutch from engaging?

gallery_328_223_508482.jpeg

docc's 76,500 mile input

Thats a nasty looking mess right there. I don't think it is enough to keep the clutch from engaging.

It might require some fancy lever action but it should still function. 

I have the hub wrench if you need it ....among other things  :grin:

I was just trying to wrap my mind around the *three* special tools in the Workshop Manual to R&R the clutch.

Gonna stop wrenching for tonight and apply biscuits&bacon in the morning at Lieper's Fork . . .

Still looking to lay eyes on the world's worst V11 flywheel teeth . . .

At this point, Tomchri's clutch failure is not what I am seeing .  .  .

gallery_328_223_16735.jpgTomchri's detached friction material

• Sad 1

The images in Post#3 and the "muddy mess" in Post#11 are from Tomchri.  The mess is one of the friction surfaces of a clutch plate. 

Image in Post#9 is the input hub on my Sport that I've held the clutch in at stops all these years. This gearbox was replaced under warranty at 27,000 mils, so has about 76,500 miles/ 123.000 km.

[i added captions to the images.]

Soooo, I haven't got that far yet! That is an image Tomchri sent me.

So, grossohc, which part did you have the excessive wear?

Flywheel.