Sticking clutch?

docc

I've posted this before. It's been on epay over a year. He only has 1 feedback, so who knows? It's the correct one.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Moto-Guzzi-V11-Sport-Clutch-Gear-for-single-plate-clutch-GU01211640-/272216373516

There weren't washers on my oem flywheel bolts, and the RAM kit didn't include any. Nothing on the instructions either.

Soooo, That seller only has one feedback because here in the NL, there is not much use of Ebay. I know the guys is reliable and a real enthousiast. Why?

Because that's me :oldgit:

No offense intended there Tinus. Just an observation. Everyone starts with 1 eh?

Docc... I can now recommend this seller. :)

• Like 1

Ha... this gets confusing, huh?  It'd be easier if we were sitting around a table with all the parts spread out - and if there was still some room on the table for  :bier:

Ah! The very definition of a Spine Raid! :mg:

looks like the one in my picture 

by the way ....

Yeah, man, let's see what I can do to talk you out of that one. :thumbsup:

Soooo, That seller only has one feedback because here in the NL, there is not much use of Ebay. I know the guys is reliable and a real enthousiast. Why?

Because that's me :oldgit:

Haha! What a great community!  :nl:   I've contacted you through ebay, but it looks like I may be able to collect the part locally, if I can come up with the right goodies to "trade."  (Moonshine trades right-well in these parts . . . :drink:

Docc, you can read me? Don't go this route. The standard V11 clutch assembly is already on the (lower) edge mass-wise. If you want to put some more dynamics into your ride then better invest in lighter wheels. These infact are too massy.

Engine braking will not be reduced, it will be increased. Pulse loads on the drive train won't be reduced, they'll be increased. Clutch problems wont be reduced - think you get the picture from here on. Idle won't be improved. Spare situation won't be improved....

Instead, IAEF, I'd investigate possibilities to switch to heavier LMIII assemblies for instance. Guzziology quotes a fast bike that uses an old Eldo clutch, that's maybe twice the weight of a V11 one. He seemed quite happy with it.

Or you just stick the parts together and have fun with your V11 as it is. Don't know why this option usually is so grossly underestimated.

These are great points, as always, luhbo. It is quite remarkable how much MotoGuzzi got right on these V11! :thumbsup:

Or you just stick the parts together and have fun with your V11 as it is. Don't know why this option usually is so grossly underestimated.

Good point that last one. The problem was a loose input hub. Fasten it correctly and ride it. You would not have taken it apart just now if it wasn't for that problem. Maybe toss in some fresh clutch springs since you're there.

I am seriously considering this avenue: replace the friction discs, maybe the springs, freshen up the mating surfaces and get on down the road . . .

I'll probably put a Ram clutch on my 850-T as it needs it the worse. But the V11 doesn't have enough miles on it to need a clutch anytime soon.

looks like the one in my picture 

by the way ....what are ya'll drinkin down there?

If ya'll keep this up, I'll be needin some

:homer:

I was waiting to see when Andy would start shaking his head!!!  Andy, If you need a good Imperial Stout or a Belgian Tripple (rally 6X)... I have them on tap!

Ha... this gets confusing, huh?  It'd be easier if we were sitting around a table with all the parts spread out - and if there was still some room on the table for  :bier:

by the way ....what are ya'll drinkin down there?

If ya'll keep this up, I'll be needin some

I was waiting to see when Andy would start shaking his head!!!  Andy, If you need a good Imperial Stout or a Belgian Tripple (rally 6X)... I have them on tap!

See? This is coming together! :drink:

So, no doubt, my clutch went "sticking" because the safety washer failed to retain the input hub to the gearbox. Check out the position of the lock nut. Hanging on by "two threads!" . . . (You can actually see where the lock nut has been engaging the pushbutton on the pressure plate.)

gallery_328_223_508482.jpeg

So... after all this discussion about possible replacements I'll just throw in what I would do if this was my bike: new seals where leaking, 5 new stiffer clutch springs (alternate with 5 originals), new throwout bearing (preventative measure). From there, measure the other clutch internals - and run them as-is if possible.

I've seen pictures of much worse input hubs and flywheels.

You can always do a complete replacement later - during the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And of course a new "star" washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, indeed! And a tab properly engaged well into the lock nut!

So... after all this discussion about possible replacements I'll just throw in what I would do if this was my bike: new seals where leaking, 5 new stiffer clutch springs (alternate with 5 originals), new throwout bearing (preventative measure). From there, measure the other clutch internals - and run them as-is if possible.

I've seen pictures of much worse input hubs and flywheels.

You can always do a complete replacement later - during the winter.

Last thing first: Here in the Deep, Humid, Stormy Southern USA, *now* (summer) is the time to refit as long as one has a place free of mosquitoes where the sweat doesn't obscure clear vision. Contrary to popular belief, alligators are not conducive to 'firing another round.' ;)

All the seals/gaskets have to be done regardless.

#1) Looks like a pair of friction plates, intermediate plate, new springs, with new flywheel fasteners and Schnorr washers will be under $300US.

("Normal Maintenance?")

Add #2?) Adding the Guzzi crown gear and pressure plate: another ~$600US. (The "Make-Sure/Once-and-Done?")

Plus #3?) Also replace the flywheel and the input hub? $unknown$ . . . (The "Over-the-Top/OMG/replace-everything?") Closing in on two grand?

Or #4) RAM complete assembly (plus *sourced* input hub and "machined" pushrod) ~$785?  (The "Unknown Quantity?")

One unanswered question (among the many), can these surfaces be restored?

gallery_328_223_1498244.jpeg

I made up my mind. This is normal maintenance/ normal wear. No failure (beyond the "safety washer" letting the input hub walk off the gearbox input shaft). No actual damage.

Just those plates, really. My springs are probably fine, but the OEM springs are quite inexpensive, as are the fasteners and safety washers.

Still hoping to lightly resurface the pressure plates.