96 sport 1100 with carbs what K&N filters fit

motoberzerko

Got a 96 sport 1100 with carbs.

Would like to eliminate the air box and go with individual filters.

Good idea, or bad?

Suggestions?

Anyone with a part number or size that works?

Thanks in advance

Unless you are doing it for looks, I would keep the airbox.

That said, I have a '93 Daytona with K&N pods (for looks). I recommend you try to keep the stock intake stacks (the guys that connect the throttlebodies to the airbox), mount the pods to the end of the stacks, and I use the covers on my K&N filters. They are like raincoats for the filters (oil / gauze filters and rain don't mix well).

It likely won't make as much total power with the pod filters, airboxes are your friend when it comes to making power, but it can be made to work well enough.

Thanks for the reply.

Really like the looks so it's a cosmetic thing.

K&N has the best selection so that's why I considered them.

Have heard that the stock air box is the way to go.

just looking for the opinion of others who have more experience and insight.

thanks again

FWIW, I had K&N pods on a Centauro. I thought it might have lost a little power at WFO and higher speeds. The pods had (in my opinion) better driveability.  :huh2:

If you want pods, I would measure the ends of the stacks that connect the carbs to the airbox and get filters that fit that size. The universal filters from K & N are sold by dimension, including the diameter of the opening. Keeping the stacks helps with air flow. My Daytona has metal replacements for the stacks to mount the filters, but the stock ones should work fine.

The rain covers are also a good idea as when K & N style filters get wet dirt flows through them like water.

I have been all over the K&N website. Was considering the filters with the longer flange. Not as long as the intake stacks though. I like the idea of just leaving it stock, but like the looks of the K&N's, like the filter chargers too. Bike is ridden regularly for fun on good days, so doesn't see rain. A set of metal intake stacks would be nice. Looked at stacks on several sights but most are flared bell style.

thanks again GuzziMoto 

Mine has the metal stacks with the flaired bell mouths.

The filter are actually attached so that the flaired bell mouth is in the middle of the filter. The base of the filter is attached to the stack about 2/3's the way along the stack. I have sections of rubber hose (fuel injection hose so it is pretty stiff) to act as spacers to fill the gap between the filter and the stack. That was not the original plan, the filters were bought to fit on the ends of the stacks but that ended up being too long. So I slide the stack up into the filter and used the lengths of fuel hose to fill between the filter and the small section of the stack.

It is hard to describe, but it works well. I just had to cut the hose to the right length so that when wrapped around the stack it made it the entire way without a gap.

But again, the stock set up has plastic stacks. They should work, they can be removed from the stock airbox and you can buy filters that fit the ends of them. I seem to recall some on here have done exactly that with their V11's and found it worked better than the pods directly on the TB's. Carbs are even more sensitive to airflow, and would have a bigger benefit to running the stacks vs no stacks / just pods.

But the stock airbox is still your best bet for performance.

I was curious what you had for metal stacks. I like your idea. I agree with you that intake stacks would help smooth out the airflow into the carbs. The stock plastic intakes are about 9 bucks each so it's possible to pick up a couple for experimenting with, and still be able to return to stock. I would sacrifice a little performance for "the look" as long as I could get it to run well. Got the Aprilia for performance fun. Really like the RXV550  by the way.

thanks again

The metal stacks my Daytona has were on it when I bought it. I don't know who made them. My friend whom I bought the bike from had bought the stacks years earlier. They actually bolt to the throttlebodies the same way the stock plastic stacks did. I don't know how yours are, but if the stock plastic stacks bolt to the carbs it should be easy enough to make that work.

The RXV is cool, but currently it is not running, "projects" are often like that around me. Sometimes for years.

Right now all my money is going into a hole in the dirt called a Jeep (Just Empty Every Pocket).