Lead UJ

Cabernet

How do we lube the grease nipple? Bevel box and trail UJ are off. I have the lead UJ released from the gear box spline, but it won't pass through the swing arm tunnel where the drive shaft passes. Surely it's not a swing arm removal?94d9393f6fbe5f12f2b778d293e7f5d9.jpg

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The internet reports successfull greasing experiencies, personally I never had that much luck (or not the right tools).

What I do once a year is remove the swingarm, optionally with/also the shaft. You then cannot only reach the nippels, you can also clean up afterwards.

• Like 1

Entertaining and informative thread here:  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18602

But you've gotten so far along already, you may as well remove the swingarm and check the bearings, and lube the upper shock-mount bolt. With everything out of the way, you can also remove any rust from the parts and apply a little grease to the output shaft so water cannot get trapped at the driveshaft coupling. I use Staburags grease. It's a very thick brush-on grease - not the same as goes inside the joints.

Apparently, the early RedFrames are the worst for this for some unknown reason. The thread Scud linked posts all the proper attempts (angle fittings, tip grinding, and the needle method), as well as examples of the requisite cursing.  You may find new combinations that work for you. ((and not just the cursing!)

If the swingarm is coming out, be certain to measure the stand-off of the pivot pins before taking them out.

As the bike is supported by an abba stand using the swing arm nuts, that little way further is not so easy. I will look at supporting a different way next tyre change. Thanks all for responses.

I've had luck with the rear wheel suspended and a needle. ... and my tongue twisted just right

5803-600x600.jpg

I like that needle better than one I tried (which was built for stabbing through seals and I cut the point off). You have a source for that one, footgoose?

• 4 weeks later...

What year/ model is your V11, Cabernet?

It is registered as a 2003 Naked Sport, but it has no Lamba sensor and external fuel pump. So it may only be masquerading as a 2003, having sat in a show room for a year or two unregidtered. It has Aprilia style switch gear and had black clocks before I switched them for an LCD digital dash.