Kidney Plate Removal.

Retroman

Hi Guys,

The kidney plates on my Guzzi are looking a bit tired and was thinking of having them powder coated.

However, look like if I take them off either one or both at the same time that the back end will collapse.

Has anyone tried this before and any ideas how to keep everything together for reassembly.

My Abba stand would appear to be useless for this job as it uses attachment points on the plates.

Thanks for any advice.

Nigel.

I've had those powdercoated on two V11s. In both cases, I removed the swingarm first. I put the front wheel in a wheel-chock, then supported the transmission with a platform jack. While you've got the plates off, it's easy to remove the lower subframe and have that powdercoated at the same time.

The bike will stay together like that, but if you want a little extra security you could probably buy one used plate to hold it all together. Make sure they don't get any powder in the fine threads for the swingarm pivot bolts, but if they do, aircraft paint stripper will remove it.

+1 on the platform jack and the front of the bike stabilized. Theoretically, if the swimgarm is also supported, a single stiletto could be removed at a time. Be sure to measure the stand-off of the pivot pin before removal.

Even with the airbox off/ tank off, I had a tough time getting a wrench on the large Nyloc-style nuts that fasten the side plate to the swimgarm (rounded one badly).

IMG_2561.JPG.jpeg

Thanks Guys,

Very useful information.

As suspected not as simple an operation as initially thought.

I will let you know how I go on.

Nigel.