Annoying Exhaust chirp with baffles removed

Bill Bassett

I recently purchased a new pair of carbon fiber mufflers for my newly acquired Rosso Corse. I did not want to run it with the baffles installed. When removed, there was a chirp at idle and more pronounced when advancing the throttle. It was suggested for me to put the little clips back in place without the baffle. The noise was reduced, but it looked funny with the clip and no baffle.

The chirp comes from the hole in the end of the pipe that holds the baffle clip. I eliminated my chirp by making a stainless ring 1/2" long with an ID the size of the OD of the pipe. Make it fairly snug, clean the ring and the outside of the pipe and put a thin coating of JB Weld around the inside of the ring and fit it over the end of the pipe till flush. Wipe away any excess. Put a little JB on the inside in the little cavity left by the hole. Let it harden, sand the inside if you have been a little generous with the JB. No more chirp.

This is more or less permanent. You could figure another way of fitting the ring if you want to be able to install the baffles again. Also, this may not be an issue on the type of mufflers you have selected.

Bill Bassett

Now you're challenging my internet skills with the pic. I'll take one tonight and try and get it on tomorrow. Mistrals reverse carbon fiber, mounted low.

Bill

Did I say picture? I meant video!