Trapped fuel

docc

After leveling the tank (you'll run out of fuel sooner going downhill ! ), I tipped the tank fully to the left and drained another 120 ounces/ 0.94 US gallons.

In normal run mode, I doubt all of that would come out even it were on the petcock side of the tank.

Haha - looking back, the image is hilarious! Serves me right for being so serious lately!

*Make yer Guzzi turn its head and cough.* :nerd:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, well, in an effort to measure accurately the trapped fuel I accomplished a couple more things. 

For one, I'm surprised how much fuel gets trapped in the front of the tank in the attitude shown above. I remember running out of fuel going downhill once and was surprised how she started back up on the flat. The difference in fuel flow going uphill versus down is quite substantial.

Also, I made the mistake of reusing some of the fuel I poured over from the right side. Apparently, it was full of 17 years worth of silt and almost immediately plugged my new fuel filter. :bbblll:  So, all new fuel lines, clamps, and another new filter.

• Like 1

I've twice run out of fuel in the same long downhill run to a country back road T intersection give way sign. Both times I've rolled through turning left onto the uphill road and she's fired up again and got me to the top of the hill to the gas station over the crest.

They dont call me Lucky Phil for no reason :)

Ciao 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I did some thinking on this subject a long time ago (I despise running out of fuel!) and the only solution I could come up with was a siphon inside the tank to straddle the hump. Obviously, you'd want a filter on the rt. end [to prevent the clogging issues Docc so kindly warned us about] and there'd need to be some sort of one-way valve at the top of the hump to bleed air out of the line at a fill-up so the siphon would properly draw as the fuel-level drops on both sides of the tank. Never have gotten around to mucking about with it, & not entirely certain how it would go in on the short-frame tanks [the long frame tanks of course have the big access plate for servicing the in-tank fuel pump, so you could remove the tank & get it all in place that way there's no way to finagle it thru the fuel-filler hole...] A little bit of lead on the ends of the siphon line to weight them and keep the ends on the bottom of the tank should work well enough: as much as we all want lighter bikes, I think this is a justifiable case for adding some weight to the system! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Sorry I got called way in the middle of posting

Very easy to sandwich an aluminum plate say 1/2" thick between the regulator and tank, run a 1/2" or 5/16" line from there over to the pump suction.

Before I sold mine I added an internal pipe from the regulator return to the Left Hand side of the tank so in theory when you run out, tip the bike over to get the fuel from right side to the left where the pump can grab it, then after circulating past the injectors it will get thrown back over to the left leaving the right hand side empty.