Airbox/cover warped

coreytrevor

I had my airbox out recently and noticed something not too good going on.

The airbox and cover were both no longer flat where they contact the air filter. There was an actual gap between the cover and filter and also between the filter and box. This is on the long sides of the filter, furthest from the bolts. Sorry, no photos. The gap at the cover won't make much difference but there was obviously unfiltered air going between the filter and box surface. This is with a K&N filter which looks to be in good shape and not deformed in any way.

My fix was just to run a bead of RTV on the bottom of the filter. I did this in the past on my 1150GS and the RTV became a permanent part of the filter, filling the gap, so only a thin film was needed when the filter was cleaned and put back in.

I hadn't seen anything about this on the forum so I thought since it's not really obvious unless you are looking for it, maybe a lot of bikes have it going on.

I know some people don't trust the filtering ability of the K&N but my I put 115k miles on my 1150GS with one. It went 80k miles without any change in valve clearance and the minor amount of oil consumption actually started to drop at 90k miles. I guess the rings were finally seating! 

• Like 1

Having just replaced my tank, I can't imagine what would warp that piece. It is very tough and durable.

A previous owner perhaps way overtightened it?

I can't say how it happened either. When the front and back are pulled down by the bolts there is a gap at the sides that doesn't keep pressure on the filter. I don't know about overtightening it. When the bolts are tight the cover comes down against the airbox around the bolts.

Hm, yeah, they probably don't to be that tight to seal. Once the lid deforms, it would unlikely to get back right.

Good news is, lots of folks take them off for pods, so, maybe you could come by one easily?

For extra fun and *tuning* purposes, apply the proper >glass mandrels . . .

(There is always the joy of emptying the 'glass mandrels.')

DSCN3896.jpg

I could probably have tried to surface the box and lid with a big piece of sandpaper on a piece of glass. Didn't think of that until now... Oh well, the silicone isn't going anywhere.

I had seen that about the schnorkels but mine were chopped off before I got the bike.