docc

Install Deformed Fuel Tank

Ok, I just installed my tank after being completely dry and off the bike for 7-8 weeks. Nearly all the elongation had gone. The nut had to be slid all the way to the rear but no pressure was needed to align the bolt. There is a nice gap between the tank and the rear cowl.

So they can "recover" in time when emptied. How much time? :huh2:   It seems like the heat of the summer storage helped it recover more, and faster than my winter experience with the tank off.

• Like 1

That's good to know. I have read of Ducati nylon tanks shrinking back after sitting with no fuel for a while. I considered trying that with my V11 but since it is coated inside maybe it wouldn't help. Would the sealer on the inside and the paint on the outside keep the water trapped in the nylon?

That's good to know. I have read of Ducati nylon tanks shrinking back after sitting with no fuel for a while. I considered trying that with my V11 but since it is coated inside maybe it wouldn't help. Would the sealer on the inside and the paint on the outside keep the water trapped in the nylon?

Your tank is probably fine. Especially if the coating was applied early and accurately.

Nastiness trapped in the Nylon pushes the paint up  ("bubbles"). Really obvious.

My tank has one major bubble under a decal. I popped it with a pin but it comes back. I think the coating probably missed a spot or two.

The tank hits the simon cowl but goes right past it. I just want it to be less expanded.