2004 Marzocchi 43 mm Fork seals

Colorobo

So I noticed one of my fork seals is leaking. Opinions, Bike has 6500 miles , I think I should replace the seals only. What is the opinion on bushings? I think the seal just dried out or cracked.  . Thanks again This site is a great wealth of information. Also fork oil weight and capacity or mods cartridges, springs, and suppliers.

I think there are a few fork rebuild threads. Have you tried searching the how-to or technical topics (instead the whole site)?

Also, you might try a Motion-Pro seal-mate or home-made equivalent before you take the forks apart. Sometimes that little device can clean out some debris and stop a leak.

Would you be happier buying / installing the bushings or not buying / installing the bushings ? 

On using the Seal-Mate , remember the seal you see on the o/s of the fork is the dust seal . The actual oil seal is up inside the fork .  

Look at a parts diagram to understand what I am referring to .

The forks are not difficult to take apart, once they are out of the triples. First challenge will be how to support the bike solidly. A factory stand and a platform jack work great.

The factory Workshop Manual has decent detail on the forks. If you are going to remove the cartridges by removing the bolt from the fork bottom, there is a set screw that inserts from the inboard side of the lower body that is NOT depicted in the manual. It will look like a little detent, but cleaning it out will show you a hex in the hole.

Agreed that the cleaning method is worth trying since you can do that on the bike. Still, the forks will probably benefit from an oil change.

So I noticed one of my fork seals is leaking. Opinions, Bike has 6500 miles , I think I should replace the seals only. What is the opinion on bushings? I think the seal just dried out or cracked.  . Thanks again This site is a great wealth of information. Also fork oil weight and capacity or mods cartridges, springs, and suppliers.

If you can't stop the leak just by cleaning the seal (the one under the dust seal) with spray solvent/compressed air and perhaps the "film method", I certainly would not worry about the bushings or cartridges. They'll be fine!

Springs are worth changing if your sag measurement is too great. If you weigh upwards, or over, 200 pounds, re-spec'ing the springs is cheap and easy. Traxxion Dynamics spec'd mine and the spacers they provided were perfect the first time.

If you need the actual seals, MotoInternational is probably pretty close shipping for you and has a big stock of parts, as does Harper's.

Fork oil is a many splendored thing with lots of opinions on weight and fill volume. Easy stuff there with a few choices to make. The only "special tool" is to measure the gap down to the fork level. Sure, you can buy a fancy one, or just make one:

DSCN2352.jpg