Fuel leak 2001 V11 Sport

Cyborg

Hello all.

Been a while since I posted.... Came home from a fishing expedition, went into the garage and was greeted by the smell of gas. The two allen screws that hold the fuel solenoid valve onto the tank are wet. Checked them and they are both snug. It may have something to do with the lack of clearance between the fuel solenoid and the intake boot. It seems as though a washer that goes under the rear tank mount was left out at some point in the past, allowing the solenoid to rub against the boot. The solenoid itself doesn't seem to be leaking, it looks like it coming from where it attaches to the tank. Anyway, I know the answer is to drain the tank, remove it, and figure out why its leaking..... but, I thought I would see if anyone has had a similar situation. Anything to look out for? My parts book doesn't show (or I can't find) the solenoid and I'm wondering if it's a gasket or an O-ring that seals the solenoid to the tank.

Parts Manual, Page 21, specifies and O-ring :  90706116

It appears the O-ring is not for the petcock, itself, but for the mounting flange.  Same O-ring for the fuel level sensor's mounting flange.

• Like 1

This would be a good time to consider replacing the electric petcock with a manual one. Seems the electric ones (if that's what you mean by "fuel solenoid") cause problems for some people.

I just did this on my Greenie's tank. The electric I removed had a flat fiber washer, while the manual one I installed used a rubber O-ring. The tank surface is flat, so it's all about matching the recess in the petcock casting.

• Like 1

Attaboy, Docc, and Scud.

Btw.. this forum is priceless for V11S owners. Maybe a small donation to Jaap is in line? I've made the same pitch at WG. There was a guy stuck at a gas station in BF somewhere, posted, got his answer and rode off. A 10% donation of what he would have paid to have his bike towed to some dealer, and the bill from them would be cheap. 

I'll get off my soap box now.. but we all need to support this forum, it's the best in the world if you have a V11S.

Attaboy, Docc, and Scud.

Btw.. this forum is priceless for V11S owners. Maybe a small donation to Jaap is in line? I've made the same pitch at WG. There was a guy stuck at a gas station in BF somewhere, posted, got his answer and rode off. A 10% donation of what he would have paid to have his bike towed to some dealer, and the bill from them would be cheap. 

I'll get off my soap box now.. but we all need to support this forum, it's the best in the world if you have a V11S.

Here ya go:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17867&p=218571

Parts Manual, Page 21, specifies and O-ring :  90706116

It appears the O-ring is not for the petcock, itself, but for the mounting flange.  Same O-ring for the fuel level sensor's mounting flange.

Thanks. The parts manual I have, doesn't show it and after looking through it, I'm assuming its for the wrong year. It only shows the tank with the internal pump and I have an external one. Guess I better find the correct manual.

• Like 1

I've never heard of one cracking. This polyamide material isn't really conducive to that kind of failure, AFAIK.

Stretch, swell, and deformation: yes.

• Like 1