Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner

Scud

I just got a last-minute work thing that gives me the following riding window:

Arrive Munich, Germany before noon on Friday, August 25. 

Get close to Nuremberg by Sunday night (for work Monday and Tuesday)

Return bike to Munich Wednesday morning August 30.

Not too fussy about what bike I would ride - so long as it's comfy and a little sporty. Anybody have advice about where to rent, some good ideas about where to go... or willing to be tour guide / riding partner? 

I was thinking about crossing the Alps into Northern Italy. A visit to Mandello del Lario is possible, but it's not the purpose. I just want to find some good riding, scenery, food, and drink. (probably in that order of occurrence and priority.)

(cross-posted on WildGuzzi)

• Like 1

Thanks. I got a lot of good advice at WildGuzzi. Just confirmed an R1200GSA through Bike Travel Service and a two nights at Hotel Enzian in Austria. This hotel caters to motorcyclists in a way I've never seen before. Nice video on their website. I may have watched it more than once...  :whistle:

I was getting a little nervous, as a few places didn't have any more bikes available.  After perusing the rental options and the tight roads, I really wanted to rent a new Honda Transalp - a light V-twin that is not available in USA. But I only found one place that still had a bike, and they only had the big GS, which was a little more (bike and money) than I wanted. But heck - I'm just stoked to have a bike to ride and a couple days before work for exploring.

The big GSs take a bit of crap on this site but they really are fun bikes to ride. I still have my 1150 I bought new and put 115k miles on.

I bet a few members here have GSs but don't put them in their bike list.

Have a blast over there! And be careful.

I rented a big GS in the Rocky Mountains once. Had a great time.

I had a KTM 950 Adventure for a while. And I've been thinking about getting a smaller ADV bike. I was hoping that I could live with one for a week. But hey, as long as I've got two wheels in the Alps I'll be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The up&coming KTM 790 Adventure has my attention as a stablemate for the Sport.

I know the GS are terrific bikes, but the motor always fails to inspire my motor-head.

I've long dreamt of this very trip: Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bavaria to Mandello del Lario. 

I did this trip actually few years ago...there are so many possibilities on the way... The greatest passes I rode were Stelvio and Gavia.

@Scud: I sent your eMail address privately to Martin (V11 LeMans Tenni), who lives in Nürnberg.

Thanks. I hope to ride through Stelvio National Park on Saturday. Stelvio and Gavia passes are both in the park. As you said, there are so many possibilities. I could easily imagine a week there.

I'll watch for an e-mail from Martin. I'll actually be a bit SouthEast of Nurnberg. So many possibly and interesting ways to get there from Austria too...  :race:

Be carefull down there. Some days the main roads can be totaly overcrowded, full with mad cyclists, mad bikers, senile campers, ignorant buses, cars of all kinds, tractors ... you get the picture. Then, on these ant roads, the cops are trying to do their business as good as possible. And Austria is not cheap in this regard.

Will this be your first visit to the Alps?

This will be my first time that really counts in the Alps. I was in a corner of the Alps in Slovenia once for a couple days, but it was all business and it rained the whole time - so I didn't even see the mountain tops. I met a group who had rented motorcycles there and vowed to do it someday myself. It's taken almost 10 years... but it's coming up in a few days.

I plan to ride conservatively, and will try to find interesting, less-travelled-routes. I've heard that Swiss police are both strict and vigilant in their speed-limit enforcement.

I hope to ride the Stelvio Pass on Saturday. I expect that it will be crowded, so I'll get as early a start as possible.

By looking at maps, I see that Stelvio is not just a road - it's a large national park in Italy. That makes me appreciate the name of the Moto Guzzi Stelvio a little more. Many US-made vehicles are named after special places. GMC Denali and Yukon, Chevy Tahoe and Malibu, Dodge Durango and Dakota, etc.

Be carefull down there. Some days the main roads can be totaly overcrowded, full with mad cyclists, mad bikers, senile campers, ignorant buses, cars of all kinds, tractors ... you get the picture. Then, on these ant roads, the cops are trying to do their business as good as possible.

Sounds like home! :grin:

• Like 1

Many US-made vehicles are named after special places. GMC Denali and Yukon, Chevy Tahoe and Malibu, Dodge Durango and Dakota, etc.

That would make a fun thread. Cars/trucks and bikes. 

Start one in the banter and silly remarks area. I can think of three other Moto Guzzis named after special places - and a few more cars/trucks.