Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner

Scud

Here's a video of my travel day and my loop on Saturday. 

With one of Germany's finest exports providing the soundtrack.  :whistle:

• Like 5

They are also  "baloney slicers" . Or at least in my little circle .

Bacon Slicer where I live.  'Baloney' being rubbish or nonsense here although I believe an Italian sausage over the water.  "Separated by a common language!"

Thanks. I'm working on part 2 from Landeck, Austria to Vilseck (aka Grafenwoehr), Germany, and back to Munich, where road closures "forced" me to leave the "strasse" and go "gelande" for a bit. And more 1970s Scorpions tunes...

The R1200GSA turned out to be a great bike for this trip. The water cooled boxer motor is strong and smooth - cruising effortlessly at 180 on the autobahns, while still getting passed by cars that had to be doing 240+ (speeds in km). It handled well, was all-day comfortable, and the adjustable windscreen gave me enough air during the sport bits and reasonable protection while making time and trying to escape a hailstorm near the Danube River.

I knew there was a Karlsbad/CZ, but I didn't realize how close I was to it.  In my rental contract, I did not list CZ as a country I would visit. Carlsbad, CA (where I live) was named after it - something about a mineral spring here being similar to one in CZ. 

On Tuesday night, my return trip started off 2 hours later than I planned, due to work needs. Then there were three road closures (for construction) along route 299. I could not read the signs - and there were no arrows or anything I could identify as a detour route. After the first closure, I ended up winding my way through a town (no video of that one). I got around the 2nd closure on a graded road through farmland, which was very pretty - and I got that special video clip of the sun coming through the tops of the corn plants as I rode by. The third road closure put me into dark woods near sunset - and I was relieved to pop out of the woods on the other side of the closure. It was a great ride and it was also fun to be on the Autobahn into Munich at night.

It was still a great adventure though. On the way up, during the storm, I had about 40 pounds of printed material for work in my saddlebag. Good thing it was all in waterproof bags. It was fun to tell the people I was working with "Hey I carried this stuff on a motorcycle over mountains and through storms to bring it to you."