Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner

Scud

And the adventure begins with free parking for 1 K bike.  This is going to be an all-BMW adventure, seems kind of appropriate since I am flying into Bavaria.  I checked the Giant Loop Great Basin saddlebag - will pick it up in Munich and strap it to the rental bike.

IMG_6793.jpg

I will attempt to secure a Stelvio T-shirt so I can say:  Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  

• Like 3

Scud,

If you're in Stelvio area, you might be interested in popping in to see the World Cup Downhill (mountain bike) in Val di Sol, v close by. DH Racing Saturday. It's an impressive show.

Have a great trip :thumbsup:

Made it to Landeck, Austria.

Luhbo - thanks for recommending this road, West of Innsbruck. I especially loved riding up along the river.

IMG_6811.jpg

More later... right now I'm kinda thirsty.   :bier:

• Like 1

Hey, that's a 'Flying Brick', though not for intercontinental use?

That's funny. It is my airport runner though. I never worry about it. Most people don't even know what it is... and most of those who do know what it is know it's not worth stealing.

Scud,

If you're in Stelvio area, you might be interested in popping in to see the World Cup Downhill (mountain bike) in Val di Sol, v close by. DH Racing Saturday. It's an impressive show.

Have a great trip :thumbsup:

I'll keep an eye out for it.

Well that does not suck at all!

No, it doesn't. It's a checkmark on the "bucket-list."

Love this little hotel (Enzian). Buffet breakfast and dinner included. They sat me with another American. Then some guys (I assume locals) bought a round of schnapps for everyone and started yodeling. Fabulous.

:thumbsup: Way cool, Scud. More, please..

I had a great ride today. About 350km of some of the tightest and most scenic roads I've ever been on. I saw several Moto Guzzis, including a Red/Grey 2002 LeMans. I followed a Red Stelvio up the Stelvio Pass. Then I went over the Gavia Pass. Then up to Tirano, Italy and up through Switzerland back to Landeck, Austria. I have a bunch of photos and GoPro video - I'll get it sorted out later. There's a group here from the San Diego BMW dealer - so I had dinner with them this evening. Off toward Nuremburg tomorrow morning.

More later...

• Like 1

How cool that there's a Moto Guzzi in the Google-Earth picture at Gavia Pass.

I saw this Moto Guzzi (with hidden eagle) at the top of Stelvio Pass:

IMG_6838.jpg

Here's one shot on the way up Stelvio:

IMG_6827.jpg

And one looking back down from Stelvio:

IMG_6826.jpg

I got this still from my GoPro on the way down Gavia Pass:

Gavia%20Pass.jpg

Started today via some choice roads in the Alps that Hubert recommended, then some Autobahn, then got lost, then caught in a hailstorm crossing the Danube River, then lost again, then made it to Vilseck, Germany for work tomorrow. I learned that my rain-suit is not as waterproof as it used to be.

• Like 3

The fact that the person riding that old a** Guzzi (bacon slicer?) and has luggage denotes that they have been putting some miles in is so cool. My kind of people the Guzzi type!

Great trip! Thanks for taking us along.

• Like 1