Non-resistor plug caps

coreytrevor

Hi,

Does anyone know of any non-resistor spark plug caps available anywhere. I would like to find some that look similar(red) to the originals. Or does anyone know if any of the red NGK ones, such as the TB05EM have removable resistors? A lot of the NGK solid, non rubbery caps can be taken apart but I don't know about these rubber types. 

I'm running NGK BPR6EIX plugs and don't want resistors in the plugs and caps both. The caps on the bike are 5k ohm but I don't know if they are the originals.

Thanks

Originals are 5000Ω.

The resistor tips on the early Champion items come out of the caps. If the NGK are like that, you could simply make up new 90º tips on your ignition wires and insert them into the rubber caps.

Well........if you remove the resistors from the caps and leave an open in the circuit , then what do you have ?  

Is there any reason you do not want them ?

I would stick a chunk of copper wire in to replace them. Done that before with the solid NGK caps.

It seems like more resistance in the circuit could mean a weaker spark. Or at least you could run a slightly bigger plug gap for a bigger spark. 

I just get weird ideas and I like to do small incremental improvements thinking they will add up over time. :)

• Like 1

To answer coreytrevor's question , spark plugs ( or most of them ) with R on the part # have resistance built in them . Most spark plug caps have a resistor built into them . It is better to have both than neither .

Thanks. I was clear on the R means resistor part. 

I did find a Champion cap without resistor, but only sold in the UK and not in stock. I guess I'm the only one on the planet who wants them. Wouldn't be the first time that happened.

http://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-champion-spark-plug-cap-pro0u-r.html?___SID=U

Anything with more than 3 wheels you operate has resistor spark plugs and non-solid core spark plug wires that have from 500-1000k resistance per ft of length .  

Does that bother you enough to change one of them ? No.  

If you were going to fiddle with anything , remove the resistor caps and install non-resistor caps .

Google the question and read up on this reason they are installed on ignition systems .

The resistors were originally ( in my opinion ) was to eliminate RFI  annoying AM radios . also , it helps aid in a more " controlled " spark .  Lots more benefits too . Read up on them .

That's the plan, non-resistor caps. But I can't have red wires and black caps!  The electricity might not flow properly!

I do understand why the resistors are there. I have a background of lots of years working on bikes professionally so most of the basic stuff is stored somewhere in my brain, if I can find it in there.

• Like 1

IDK if the spark plug wires on these bikes are solid core or filament wires . I am going to say , solid core .If the stock cap will unscrew , it is probably solid core wire . 

That makes sense. So for me the resistor caps are superfluous, I'm not worried I will accidentally put in the wrong plug. And after I'm dead the new owner will have to fend for himself.