Serious horns

callison

That being said, no, they are "loud as hell"  ^_^    Oh sure, I can hear them from the "drivers seat", but there's no trouble hearing them outside the bike.... about 1000x louder than the stockers(OK, that's an exaggeration  :rolleyes: ... but many times louder for sure  :thumbsup:

16751[/snapback]

Actually, Al, you were right the foist tyme: since decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale, and the stockers are [falsely] rated at 105dB and the Fiamms are rated [accurately] at 130dB, if you do the math [130 - 100 (o.k., it's actually

Good call...

:thumbsup:

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've added a pair of Fiamm Freeway Blasters, wired direct from the battery, and switched through a relay.  I've been running them for about a year now.  They're hidden behind a Stucchi quarter-fairing so that they're nearly invisible, yet the "bell" part peeks out, so they still have very good forward aim.  I've found that they work far better than the stock horns as critically important, err... death-deferring instruments. :glare: They seem to be able to dredge up even the dim attention of the feeblest of brain-dead super-slab slugs, some of whom are SO DENSE that they'll actually look STRAIGHT AT YOU before pulling into your lane or cutting you off like you aren't there... Don't get me started...  :wacko:

The Fiamms need to be attached carefully, so that the single mounting stud isn't anchored too closely to anything with much mass, or it will become a vibration sink, impeding full stroke of the coils and diaphragms, and robbing the horns of their high-decibel power.  For this reason the steel mounting brackets provided with the Fiamms should not be shortened.  In any event, the brackets don't seem to like extended Guzzi big-twin vibration.  Mine eventually fractured, both sides.  The aluminum strap I tried as a replacement lasted only a few days before letting go the same way.

Guzzi seems to understand this pretty well, because the stock horns on my bike are still in place and fully functional via the stock switch.  They're each mounted with a pair of thin, reed-like stainless steel straps, sandwiched together. 

Office supply outlets carry large stainless-steel banker's clasps of varying sizes.  One of the larger sizes (18mm or 13/16" wide) is just right for fabricating similar semi-flexible reed-like brackets.  As in the stock horn setup, the banker's clasp brackets seem to give the Fiamms the freedom to vibrate adequately for full volume, yet resist cracking from engine vibes. 

Hope this helps somebody who might have had the same problem. :luigi:

54797[/snapback]

Thinking about whatall needs doing for the upcoming season, and this is one of those things. Last year I found my freeway blasters dangling on more than one occasion. It's hard to look cool when my bits are swinging about. Also probably not ideal from a safety standpoint...

I didn't find anything called a "banker's clasp" online at Staples or Office depot. Can you provide a more specific pointer? Thanks for your post, sounds like a good solution. :thumbsup:

Guest ratchethack
It's hard to look cool when my bits are swinging about. Also probably not ideal from a safety standpoint...

OBND, may I recommend a good athletic supporter?

Sorry, simply couldn't resist. :blush:

I didn't find anything called a "banker's clasp" online at Staples or Office depot.  Can you provide a more specific pointer?  Thanks for your post, sounds like a good solution. :thumbsup:

At one point I remember trying about a half-dozen office supply outlets until I found one with the larger banker's clasps. You might have to order them. As I remember, the ones with the right width are about 6 inches long. It's the perfect thing, and I tried to dream up a substitute that might be more readily available, but wound up drawing a blank... :huh2:

Good luck! -_-

OBND, may I recommend a good athletic supporter?

Sorry, simply couldn't resist. :blush:

At one point I remember trying about a half-dozen office supply outlets until I found one with the larger banker's clasps.  You might have to order them.  As I remember, the ones with the right width are about 6 inches long.  It's the perfect thing, and I tried to dream up a substitute that might be more readily available, but wound up drawing a blank... :huh2:

Good luck! -_-

79448[/snapback]

Thanks rH :!:

About six inches, width is important, no substitute is readily available, and fits in an athletic supporter? :nopic:

On the other hand...never mind, I'll check some more office supply places.

At the risk of spurring further inanity - did yours need to be bent? To keep my Fiamms from bashing about, I put a couple of bends into my stock brackets and I guessed it was the levering action that broke them.

ciao! :rasta:

Guest ratchethack
Thanks rH :!:

About six inches, width is important, no substitute is readily available, and fits in an athletic supporter?   :nopic:

On the other hand...never mind, I'll check some more office supply places.

At the risk of spurring further inanity - did yours need to be bent?  To keep my Fiamms from bashing about, I put a couple of bends into my stock brackets and I guessed it was the levering action that broke them.

ciao! :rasta:

79471[/snapback]

OBND: Are you having trouble identifying what a banker's clasp is? Ask any Office Supply inventory person to help, they all seemed to know what it was when I asked. Yep, mine needed some pretty critical bends and some fit-'n-re-fit to get 'em each in the closely-confined space inside my Stucchi fairing. They work like a Champ. :thumbsup: I figure they've probably saved me from a couple of close scrapes in traffic since I put 'em in. :o

Somebody asked me for pic's in a PM awhile back, but something came up and the next thing I knew I had a giant security fiasco with Symantec/Norton and I forgot. Was that you? If y'er still interested, I'll re-commit to pic's in the next few days. Promise. -_-

Lemme know.

OBND:  Are you having trouble identifying what a banker's clasp is?  Ask any Office Supply inventory person to help, they all seemed to know what it was when I asked.  Yep, mine needed some pretty critical bends and some fit-'n-re-fit to get 'em each in the closely-confined space inside my Stucchi fairing.  They work like a Champ. :thumbsup:  I figure they've probably saved me from a couple of close scrapes in traffic since I put 'em in. :o 

Somebody asked me for pic's in a PM awhile back, but something came up and the next thing I knew I had a giant security fiasco with Symantec/Norton and I forgot.  Was that you?  If y'er still interested, I'll re-commit to pic's in the next few days.  Promise. -_-

Lemme know.

79479[/snapback]

Not someting I'd heard of till you mentioned it. Wads of cash are not something I've ever needed to manage.

Google worked. I found some for ~$1 each, 5 3/5 inches long. Looks about right. I think this is what we're talking about:

Re-posting the old photos to this site instead of remotely. Note the cheesy quick and dirty horn relay mount. Note also the equally quick and dirty temporary oil cooler mount (right side) made from ABS plastic. It fractured after about 6000 miles. These are all photos from before the bike was totalled. After the rebuild, the horn relay was moved to another location.

Guest ratchethack
Google worked.  I found some for ~$1 each, 5 3/5 inches long.  Looks about right.  I think this is what we're talking about:

79506[/snapback]

That's the ticket!

I found that not only are these things the ideal spring stainless steel, size, flexibility, etc. as mounting straps for allowing the Freeway Blasters to achieve their "full voice", but because they can be bent to shape without losing strength, flexibility and resiliency, they also make handy, corrosion-free brackets for lots of other little stuff on the Guzzi and my other moto, as well as other things around the workshop (if'n y'er inclined to fabricate things). I should've ordered mine by the dozen, 'cause I always seem to need more of 'em than I've got. -_-

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

OBND:  Are you having trouble identifying what a banker's clasp is?  Ask any Office Supply inventory person to help, they all seemed to know what it was when I asked.  Yep, mine needed some pretty critical bends and some fit-'n-re-fit to get 'em each in the closely-confined space inside my Stucchi fairing.  They work like a Champ. :thumbsup:  I figure they've probably saved me from a couple of close scrapes in traffic since I put 'em in. :o 

Somebody asked me for pic's in a PM awhile back, but something came up and the next thing I knew I had a giant security fiasco with Symantec/Norton and I forgot.  Was that you?  If y'er still interested, I'll re-commit to pic's in the next few days.  Promise. -_-

Lemme know.

79479[/snapback]

Bankers clasp? Crap, I thought it was a hair clip for the Bionic Woman.

Re-posting the old photos to this site instead of remotely. Note the cheesy quick and dirty horn relay mount. Note also the equally quick and dirty temporary oil cooler mount (right side) made from ABS plastic. It fractured after about 6000 miles. These are all photos from before the bike was totalled. After the rebuild, the horn relay was moved to another location.

79507[/snapback]

Thanks for the photos Carl -

Very high cheese factor :cheese: , and I mean that in the best "life would be poorer had Liberace not existed" way possible. I'm more of the "zip-tie the wires and hope the relay hangs on too" school. Course my zip ties aren't as shiny as your hose clamps. :notworthy:

• 9 months later...

If anybody is interested here is a link to source for what appears to be an adequate relay and instructions on running them to the horns...

I've purchased the relay and a set of Fiamm Freeway blasters and intend to install them over the next weekend.

Thaks to everyone who has contrubted to this thread -- you guys have given me the confidence to tackle the job... and I am all thumbs... really... I am!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/horn-relay/...-horn-relay.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly one of the best improvements one can make to any motorbike. And many cars for that matter.

A close second is wiring relays to the headlamps. :luigi::luigi:

Funny, all this time and it's the first I've heard of the front brake reservoir bracket cracking. Mine let go years ago and I got one from a fellow in N. Carolina who was also making windscreens for the old Stucchi fairing.

I've meant to make one up for the clutch side but now I'm afraid it will crowd the intended location for the GPS . . .