Serious horns

callison

I need to check the amperage on the left hot lead as it appears the horns are wired in series (why else would the right quit with the left unplugged?)

I'm sure the amperage will be higher. But even if it doubles, that's about one amp.

Loud horns, good: maybe scare off dogs. Loud horns, bad: wife only allows about three amperage readings of sustained blast.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acid test: Today led 9 bikes on 350 miles. Four dogs in all : Two changed direction, two stopped and cowered from the sound of the Fiamms. I say "bravo."

You can use the stock wiring if you want, it's just been my experience (twice) that in the long run the Fiamms will eat up the switch contacts. Takes a few months. The relay is still the best option regardless.

Carl, Thanks for being so kindly persistent with the truth about the relay.

I've the tank coming off soon for a fuel filter and plan to add the relay then. No question you are right about the switch not being up to the draw. Especially not as much as I blow the trumpets!

Thanks again! docc

I honked a lady back into her lane yesterday. No way to get this one done with the stock noise.

The amperage on my horns, measured with a fluke multi meter, was 1.22 A.

I'll measure the stock squeakers this weekend just for curiosity. The print says 3 A but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rotorhead

Just wanted to add a quick note for those looking for these horns. I bought a pair, hi and lo, from the NAPA dealer, PN 730-1883. They are the Fiamm El Grande and are red, black, and chrome. I paid 26 dollars for the set.

I bought the wire, 20 amp relay, and added an inline fuse (20 amp as well) from Autozone for less then ten bucks. They mount nicely in the stock location with some minor tweaking. Nice sound too!!

Just thought I throw that out there.

Rotorhead,

You should be able to go with a lower fuse rating.

The total draw from the horns is 10 amps, so go with a 15 amp fuse.

Of course it may be no big deal to stick with the 20 Amp fuse if your wiring is up to snuff.

Here is a good site:

http://www.fiammamerica.com/Product.asp?ProductID=167

You can even hear what your horns sound like!!!

Make sure nobody is sleeping when you play it....

:blush:

Now that I've had a chance to look at the various Fiamm offerings, I'm convinced that some marketeer marked the low horn on my bike as 138db since Fiamm doesn't make one that loud. 130db is still pretty loud though as I had an opportunity to demonstrate to the dimwit parked on the inside of a blind curve on the narrow mountain road I was blasting down on the way to work today. If I'd been riding the California with the Givi bags, they would have been shorn off. Sheese! Parked. And not even up on the spot where all the teenagers neck. Which I'll be going through tonight, high beams on and Mistrals singing. One of the peculiar joys of my commute at midnight. Heh, heh, heh.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished wiring in a pair of the Siemen's relays for the Fiamms. Mounted the relays in tandem along the right side of the frame roouting the stockhorn wires carefully over to them. Wired 14 guage from the battery trough a fuse holder with a cap on it. Use heat shrink and zip ties all along the existing wiring harness. Made up two separate harnesses with a ground (from the right side fuel pump bolts) and the hot from each relay down to the horns (again, heatshrink , zip ties and dielectric grease).

Now if one relay fritzes I have a redundant system. That and the 14 guage wire should be a satisfying overkill worthy of being on a Guzzi.
Currently using 5 amp fuse. may go up to 7.5 amps if necessary.

Biggest drawback to this install method was increased cost: wire, connectors, solder, heat shrink, fuse holder, fuses, zip ties , dielectric grease probably added $25- $30 to my $25 horns. But, hey, these things work GREAT and my switch is safe (saved by Carl!).

ps: no surprise the 5 amp fuse wasn't up to the task, gone after 4 honks. Now running a 7.5 amp with several good sustained blows including one trying to convince a chasing dog that I was a one ton truck. I want the minimum fuse size and will post back if I have to move up to a 10amp.

Edit ( 12-21-2003); The 7.5 amp fuse carries both of the Fiamms under extensive use. Changed the Seimans relays for Bosch.

• 8 months later...
Guest Warren Rhen
:( I'm having a problem installing my Fiamm horns and relay. Here's what I've done. removed stock horns and installed Fiamms on stock brkts. Hooked grey& black (G&B) wires directly to horns just to make sure they worked(without using the ground wires, figuring the horns would ground themselves to the brackets) and they worked. Then I removed the G&B from the horns and spliced them together and ran them to the 85 terminal of the relay. Wired everything else like the diagram shows. Batt hot wire to terminal 30 and jumpered across to terminal 86 and ran a 14 gauge wire from terminal 87 to thand piggybacked it over to the other horn. Now my horns work if the ignition key is off but won't work with it on, unless I remove the fuse in #5 position in the fuse box. That's the original fuse for the horn, lights etc. The problem is not with the relay or the horns themselves. I've apparently got something wrong before I even get to the relay. Any ideas????

Terminal 86 should go to ground. The horn button provides 12V to the horns (terminal 85).

Er, is that "the horn button provides 12V to the relay ?"

Keep the smoke in the wires , guys. :rasta: