Serious horns

callison

Funny, all this time and it's the first I've heard of the front brake reservoir bracket cracking. Mine let go years ago and I got one from a fellow in N. Carolina who was also making windscreens for the old Stucchi fairing.

I've meant to make one up for the clutch side but now I'm afraid it will crowd the intended location for the GPS . . .

right now I am using a gruesome blend of copper piping and split one inch aluminum tubing. It works. It is solid. But it is overkill and not very pretty.

My clutch resevoir is hanging on the hose. :(

First my brake resevoir bracket cracked at about 30,000 miles and then the clutch resevoir bracket cracked at about 34,000 miles.

Stainless steel is a good material for the vibe-ful location at the handlebars.

Stainless spring wire might also work well: http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/swph.cfm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, all this time and it's the first I've heard of the front brake reservoir bracket cracking. Mine let go years ago and I got one from a fellow in N. Carolina who was also making windscreens for the old Stucchi fairing.

I've meant to make one up for the clutch side but now I'm afraid it will crowd the intended location for the GPS . . .

Mine broke in 2003 while I was on my way up to Mt. Vernon. I had to move the screw up to the slot in the bracket. It's been there ever since. Looks hokey, works okay.

Guest Gary Cheek

I made an exact copy of the original aluminum bullsheet out of 304 stainless steel. Just my luck right after making the 304 parts some 1.5 mm Titanium shows up for a special project. OK, so the next ones won't be stainless.

The horns on my V11 are now a pair of Fiamm units from a late model Chevy truck. They look very similar to the excellent, classic Fiamm horns that came on my 1983 Cal II and work every bit as well. The main difference is they don't have the decorative chrome covers. Very effective units. Wiring up 12 gauge or better wire through a 40 amp HD Bosch relay help as well. The horn hangers made up from 3 strips of .5 mm (.020") steel strips laminated together make for a good support that will not dampen the horn vibes unduly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest iwasedsel

I have the Hella Supertone on my car and this I think is louder than the Fiamm and has a very distinct and commanding sound.

Has anyone tried mounting these on his bike????

Joel

See spec below.

Hella Supertone Horns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diaphragm horns vibrate the diaphragm to make a more brash sound. Most Original Equipment horns are this type. Because of their smaller size, they are easier to mount.

The Supertone Horn Kit includes 2 Disc-type Horns, a relay, and mounting hardware. Best for Freeway use as pattern is narrow and projected forward. The 85115 Kit is somewhat louder and somewhat higher in tone.

Lucy's comments: Here's my opinion on the horn kit sounds. I'll use the terminology of Consonant (pleasant) and Dissonant (irritating). See each horn for individual comment.

We are currently testing the methodes for playing sounds for our horns, these are not the correct sounds for these horns.

Specifications

Low Tone 300 Hz Construction Galvanized Metal Body

High Tone (85115)

500 Hz Diameter 4-7/8 "

High Tone (85315) 375Hz

Maximum Power Requirements 72 Watts Thickness 2-11/32"

Sound Level at 6' (85115) 118 dB Center to Mounting Hole 2-1/2"

Sound Level at 6' (85315) 113 dB

• 2 years later...

The FIAMMs have played up. One lasted 6 years and the other: only a year. In all honesty, I've ridden through some really nasty, caustic road conditions in the past year.

I've replaced the FIAMMs with new 135 dB Freeway Blasters, and aimed them away from the tire spray (I think they may broadcast sound better that way as well); still running two Bosch relays and a 10 amp fuse through 14 gauge wires grounded back to the frame.

FIAMMamerica has promised me neat little grills to cover the bellmouths; figures to help. I'll post back on that.

I don't know if having two relays is necessary, but the redundant system seems a propos and it continues to function even though the horns have needed replacing.

If you have any doubts, this is an improvement worth making. Ask the Dodge truck and horse trailer I honked back into his oncoming lane last week! ohmy.gif

IMG_7669.jpg
EDIT 9-11-2009: And now with the proper grills!

IMG_7695.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

They actually look quite large in the photos, but I had to really work at it to get good angles and close-ups for visibility. The horns tuck in very nicely betwen the pipes and the regulator and are not obtrusive at all. Until you press the horn button!!

Guest ratchethack

Nice work, Docc. :thumbsup:

My approach was similar, but I located 'em where I figure they're more of a straight shot at the target (see post 45 from 4 years ago).

Being highly suspicious of most everything I encounter within striking distance of the road that isn't stationary, and having experienced more close calls than I can remember, I was after the most direct way to get the full 135 db of a matched set of Fiamm Highway Blasters as directly as possible into the tympanic membranes of the most severely brain dead traffic slugs I'm likely to encounter. The idea was that if I can make their molars rattle, all the better. :rolleyes:

I took a direct feed off the battery with fused 12 gauge multi-stranded copper, through a single dedicated relay triggered by a separate weatherproofed momentary-on toggle switch affixed under the OE horn switch, within easy ergo-friendly reach of my thumb.

I figure they've likely saved my butt from a dozen or more close calls that otherwise would've been much closer (or worse) since I installed 'em some 5 years back.

post-1212-1252866186_thumb.jpg

To let 'em sing at full throat fully unimpeded, they're mounted "semi-floating" on reed-thin stainless steel straps made from large "banker's clasps", available at any office supply, and stabilized by zip-tie up to the mounting struts in the Stucchi 1/4 fairing by short lengths of silicone automotive tubing (hidden inside the fairing). The horns aim forward and down for reflection off the road. Judging by the recognition they get in traffic, they get immeasurably greater respect than the OE squeakers, which I maintain for little "hya!" honks for the neighbors, etc.

I reckon that's "Hey, y'all!" in mid-Tennessee? ;)

Nice work, Docc. :thumbsup:

My approach was similar, but I located 'em where I figure they're more of a straight shot at the target (see post 45 from 4 years ago).

Being highly suspicious of most everything I encounter within striking distance of the road that isn't stationary, and having narrowly survived more close calls than I can remember, I was after the most direct way to get the full 135 db of a matched set of Fiamm Highway Blasters as directly as possible into the tympanic membranes of the most severely brain dead traffic slugs I'm likely to encounter. The idea was that if I can make their molars rattle, all the better. :rolleyes:

I took a direct feed off the battery with fused 12 gauge multi-stranded copper, through a single dedicated relay triggered by a separate weatherproofed momentary-on toggle switch affixed under the OE horn switch, within easy ergo-friendly reach of my thumb.

I figure they've likely saved my butt from a dozen or more close calls that otherwise would've been much closer (or worse) since I installed 'em some 5 years back.

Fiamms_in_fairing.jpg

To let 'em sing at full throat fully unimpeded, they're mounted "semi-floating" on reed-thin stainless steel straps made from large "banker's clasps", available at any office supply, and stabilized by zip-tie up to the mounting struts in the Stucchi 1/4 fairing by short lengths of silicone automotive tubing (hidden inside the fairing). The horns aim forward and down for reflection off the road. Judging by the recognition they get in traffic, they get immeasurably greater respect than the OE squeakers, which I maintain for little "hya!" honks for the neighbors, etc.

I reckon that's "Hey, y'all!" in mid-Tennessee? ;)

That's a nice install, Ratchet! Very neat to retain the originals for "neighbor duty."

MZNYC, that is a good write-up, although I'm no fan of crimp connectors and Posi-Locks; more of a lap-solder and heat-shrink guy.

Still, my new high tone won't blow. I can only hope the Bosch relay has played up; maybe from the FAIMM that went bad on that circuit(?)

Tuesday, off with the tank and try the spare GEI.

Ratch, what are you using for a relay?

Guest ratchethack
Ratch, what are you using for a relay?

I picked up a sealed automotive type with a mounting tang on it that allowed it to be located in the space behind the headlight bucket where it can't be seen. IIRC, it's rated 10 amps, but might be rated higher (Fiamm Highway Blasters draw 5 amps each). B)