Series Type Voltage Regulator Install

coreytrevor

Yes, Tom, my first two OEM regulators were replaced at about that same distance ( #1: 37,200 miles/ 60.000 km; #2: 34,600 miles/ 55.800 km). 

I then increased and improved the V11 Sport's grounding (and many other electrical changes!). Regulator #3 is at 37,400 miles/ 60.300 km. 

(all OEM type regulators).

Lately, I have the Battery Light Flicker at idle after the battery is fully charged, but I understand this is more a matter of the reference voltage than a "bad" regulator.

This idea of finding the best regulator for the V11 is excellent!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, Tom! I lift a craft-brewed "Märzen-style" beer to your lovely home-brewed IPA! :bier:

I am interested in this thread, I feel my OEM regulator is the next thing to go.

I have my eye on the offerings from Guzzitech.

Todd offers two RR's for the V11, one for $110.00, and one for $120.00. 

JB

Been talking to Jack at roadstercycle, he recomend SH 847, a 50 amp mosfet, suposedly a big upgrade. But Im usually good at not listening to salespeople.

There are some amasing electrissions here on the V11forum, Im not.

Cheers tom

Actually, the stator and regulator both need upgrading on the V11, they were always sort of weak. There are kits that do both.

• 4 weeks later...

JB

Been talking to Jack at roadstercycle, he recomend SH 847, a 50 amp mosfet, suposedly a big upgrade. But Im usually good at not listening to salespeople.

There are some amasing electrissions here on the V11forum, Im not.

Cheers tom

Anyone familiair with these kits ?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

I am interested in this thread, I feel my OEM regulator is the next thing to go.

I sent them a message asking for clarification.

I sent them a message asking for clarification.

Would be curious to know which kits include just better regulator, or kit for both improved stator and regulator and which is the best value.

With running heated grips, electronic gauges, maybe charging phones, etc... there is increased load on the already weak system.

The electronic gauges probably draw less due to the LED illumination versus the incandescent bulbs of the OEM clocks, but yeah: running heated gear? Charging devices?

There are some real "bottlenecks"  in the V11 charging system. It can be improved with some basics, but, like the Ducati 916, I've enjoyed saying, "She's got a wiring harness like a G-string . . ." :o

• Like 1

Pick a direct connect one, not one that relies on relays to connect to the bike and you should be good. None of those include an upgraded rotor or stator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you need to eliminate all contacts and sockets, that's where the Voltage drops occur
The Voltage reference draws about 15 milliamps so you cannot leave it permanently connected or it will soon flatten the battery.

The resistance of the relay sockets and contacts will vary over time causing the Voltage to change, it needs to be consistent.
A MOSFET perhaps triggered from the ECU or perhaps just a simple Emitter follower circuit.

I don't have a bike with a Ducati Energia now but if anyone is interested in trying it send me a PM

• Like 1

Hi folks a lot of information so far. Especially the direct connecting is interesting and the mosfet replacement. But for me it is difficult to put things together. Can anyone give the circuit scheme from alternator to battery with the existing colors and the best components so far? When there are pictures for a electric unalfabetic like me, would be great.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/electronics/products/emevr-93-06

They said this one specifically is SCR. I asked if they have any that are MOSFET and there hasn’t been a reply yet.

With the availability of MOSFET regulators I’d typically lean towards those although while SCR regulators do fail it does take a while.

• 2 months later...

Not to throw gas on the fire, but the Buell 1125 badweatherbikers.com forum has hundreds of pages of discussion on shunt vs series voltage regulators.  Comments span a cross section from very knowledgeable electrical engineers to bush ignorant traditionalists.

Overheating and resulting stator or regulator failure are problems with Rotax engine Buell, BMW, Aprilia and many Ducatis and Japanese bikes.

A 2016 or 2017 Consumer Reports article notes that about 30% of modern motorcycles have charging system faults. 

As other forum members have noted, inadequate/faulty grounds, exposure to water, vibration, heat, lack of heatsinks or ventilation can all cause problems.

I switched the Ducati-labeled shunt-type V/R on my 1125 to a Shindegen 847 series type rated for 50amps.  The Shindegen 775 series type is rated for 27 amps and is good for bikes with a max 9000 rpm.  My 847 never gets more than warm, even though it is mounted in the same location the OEM V/R was in.  I will be installing a 775 in my 2001 Rosso Mandello soonest.

The problems caused by the Ducati-labeled V/R, and the inept electrical Band-Aid which H-D offered in an attempt to solve the problem are legendary.  H-D had to replace a lot of heat-damaged stators, rotors, and V/Rs during the warranty period, and those of us who arrived late to the party had to shell out for our own solutions, once the flaws in the H-D Band-Aid became known.

Jack at roadstercycle.com has a lot of experience and expertise dealing with motorcycle charging systems.  He offers lots of options and quality wiring kits at decent prices. 

I am not affiliated with Jack or roadstercycle.com in any way. 

• Like 2