Series Type Voltage Regulator Install

coreytrevor

Not to throw gas on the fire, but the Buell 1125 badweatherbikers.com forum has hundreds of pages of discussion on shunt vs series voltage regulators.  Comments span a cross section from very knowledgeable electrical engineers to bush ignorant traditionalists.

Overheating and resulting stator or regulator failure are problems with Rotax engine Buell, BMW, Aprilia and many Ducatis and Japanese bikes.

A 2016 or 2017 Consumer Reports article notes that about 30% of modern motorcycles have charging system faults. 

As other forum members have noted, inadequate/faulty grounds, exposure to water, vibration, heat, lack of heatsinks or ventilation can all cause problems.

I switched the Ducati-labeled shunt-type V/R on my 1125 to a Shindegen 847 series type rated for 50amps.  The Shindegen 775 series type is rated for 27 amps and is good for bikes with a max 9000 rpm.  My 847 never gets more than warm, even though it is mounted in the same location the OEM V/R was in.  I will be installing a 775 in my 2001 Rosso Mandello soonest.

The problems caused by the Ducati-labeled V/R, and the inept electrical Band-Aid which H-D offered in an attempt to solve the problem are legendary.  H-D had to replace a lot of heat-damaged stators, rotors, and V/Rs during the warranty period, and those of us who arrived late to the party had to shell out for our own solutions, once the flaws in the H-D Band-Aid became known.

Jack at roadstercycle.com has a lot of experience and expertise dealing with motorcycle charging systems.  He offers lots of options and quality wiring kits at decent prices. 

I am not affiliated with Jack or roadstercycle.com in any way. 

I came early to the party....just after they knocked 40%-50% off MSRP when HD announced jettisoning Buell. Still in the middle of rotor replacement with the EBR "final fix". This will be stator #3....

They were a GREAT motorcycle . H-D owners just could not bring themselves to ride one , no one else would go to a Harley shop and look at one . a buddy of mine that at one time had two Harleys and a Buell loved it . Something like 6 rear tires in the first year of ownership . He came by the shop one afternoon and let me take it for a spin , I had to stop twice , get off and make sure it had a V-twin engine . I can't recall the model . White , and the instrument cluster lights came on is sequence , then all on . It was WAY TOO righteous for me .  

Instead of trying to figure out the regulator options I just got a lightly used one from @czakky When this one wears out I'll think about other choices. I have too many other projects and I can't have the Greenie down if the weather turns nice.

HG0Gkl7.jpg

Instead of trying to figure out the regulator options I just got a lightly used one from @czakky When this one wears out I'll think about other choices. I have too many other projects and I can't have the Greenie down if the weather turns nice.

HG0Gkl7.jpg

Which one is that? (OEM?)

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20451&p=235432

HG0Gkl7.jpg

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20451&p=235432

Okay, so "Electrosport." I see you asked, in that linked thread, "Which Electrosport is it?" , but I don't see a reply to that question.

So, which Electrosport is it?

Okay, so "Electrosport." I see you asked, in that linked thread, "Which Electrosport is it?" , but I don't see a reply to that question.

Dunno but if I were to guess: https://www.electrosport.com/collections/regulator-rectifiers/products/esr515-regulator-rectifier-ducati-1-phase-charge-light-output

Dunno but if I were to guess: https://www.electrosport.com/collections/regulator-rectifiers/products/esr515-regulator-rectifier-ducati-1-phase-charge-light-output

ESR 515, then. Thanks for the clarification.  Let us know how it works out . . .

qIN1Wl2.jpg

Connectors were loose. I expanded the connector tips which helped and then used heat shrink to secure them. Started up the bike and it's charging. Was tempted to take a test ride but it's dark, 29˚ and I thought better.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Easyly made in an afternoon ( it did say that on the box with Hooker headers back in 76 )

Relocating the regulator is easly made in an afternoon with all parts. More electric hardware, tools, connectors, correct wire seals, still waiting for 12volt extra terminals.

Ohya my question, to rest my mind , Yes or No will be fine.

Isnt the green 30 amp fuse sort of on holiday the way the rectifier is hooked up now to the battery?

Still White outside ( under long)

IPA time.

Cheers tom

4dd452caf8a5ba58ac7b0e4b19466bb3.jpgcec85367706e0dc22d12991191707870.jpgeaea54a952bd911b33cc607d1ba27720.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G903F via Tapatalk

Connectors were loose. I expanded the connector tips which helped and then used heat shrink to secure them. Started up the bike and it's charging. Was tempted to take a test ride but it's dark, 29˚ and I thought better.

It finally warmed up enough last week for me to get out for a spin. According to the voltmeter on my heated grips it never went over 13.5v. Seems to be working right. One less thing to worry about.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First report with the Shindengen 847, all good, and now with a led voltage monitor .
Now my 30amp fuse is on holiday forever.
Anything happens, will report back.
Upgraded wire size to starter and ground.
Cheers tom. 98295967019d226f05e9b04694e70698.jpg6d29a0d347704ae98f107bc04447090d.jpgf934111e874616106570d153b8b1e1c1.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G903F via Tapatalk

• Like 5