Rebuilt V11 Sport Won't Start

thelonewonderer

Hmmm . Have you repaired this ?

Just for arguement's sake , can you inspect / check camshaft timing & to see if the ignition timing is in synch ?

I'll be repairing the stripped screws as soon as I can, and checking the timing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Is the reluctor wheel indexed corectly? I think its possible for the drive pin to be 180 deg out on the camshaft. Although I might be dreaming. 

Ciao

You are not dreaming, one can indeed place the timing wheel 180 degrees the other way. I can't figure why Guzzi made that possible, but you can. :mg:

Is the reluctor wheel indexed corectly? I think its possible for the drive pin to be 180 deg out on the camshaft. Although I might be dreaming.

Ciao

You are not dreaming, one can indeed place the timing wheel 180 degrees the other way. I can't figure why Guzzi made that possible, but you can. :mg:

I acquired a new timing wheel when I was rebuilding the engine, but opted to use the original again because it only had one hole for the pin into the cam, whereas the new wheel had two. I wanted to be certain that it was in the right position.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

So stepping back a bit,

Is the fuel pump re-starting when the bike cranks over?

Do you have the correct plug lead on each cylinder?

Have you confirmed you have about 45 psi on the injectors while cranking?

With a timing light I think you should see a timing mark on the flywheel under the rubber plug.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well guys, it's been a while, but I got it to start. I ended up taking the engine out and redid the timing. The bad news is that it sounds like the valves are hitting this pistons. The engine turned freely when it was on my workbench and it didn't seem like there were any problems, but when it's running (which was only for a few seconds) it's bad news.

Has anyone had issues with the valves hitting the pistons? The timing marks checked out. The only thing different with the timing is the tensioner. I replaced the stock one with a heavy duty tensioner after reading that the original one has a history of failing. 

I've never experienced this before, so I'm not positive that the valves are hitting, but I'm fairly sure that's what it is. Here is a link to the sound:

Does it still have compression in both cylinders? I don't the piston can hit a valve without bending it and losing compression.

Something is totally not right, though . . . :huh: