fork springs

andy york

However, if you put the tighter coils at the top you reduce the unsprung mass of the front wheel assembly. Reducing the unsprung mass means the spring has less work to do keeping the wheels on the deck evenly.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

This made me chuckle.

It will work either way.

I would put the tighter coils up top for the reasons mentioned, but I can't imagine it will make a lick of difference on a bike that big and heavy.

• Like 2

well   i wasn't to worried about where the weight is, since I have plenty of it.

I put the tighter coils at the top and moved on. :grin:

I must admit though, For a "modern bike", it is quite the archaic design.

basically a mini shock absorber mounted inside a tube attached to the front wheel.

anyway     thanks guys 

andy :ninja:

well   i wasn't to worried about where the weight is, since I have plenty of it.

I put the tighter coils at the top and moved on. :grin:

I must admit though, For a "modern bike", it is quite the archaic design.

basically a mini shock absorber mounted inside a tube attached to the front wheel.

anyway     thanks guys 

andy :ninja:

I've been re-reading Greg Field's "Moto Guzzi Big Twins." Just yesterday,  read this account of the V7 sport:

"Sport forks were built by Moto Guzzi, and are possibly the first cartridge-type forks fitted to any production motorcycle."

Thats one way of putting it. I could have probably found some SUV lift gate strut that would have accomplished the same thing.

These things do not meet my definition of cartridge forks....at least not compared to my Ohlins :grin: 

:ninja:  

• Like 1

Thats one way of putting it. I could have probably found some SUV lift gate strut that would have accomplished the same thing.

These things do not meet my definition of cartridge forks....at least not compared to my Ohlins :grin:

:ninja:  

Sure, now. But back then Guzzi was actually way ahead of the curve. The sweet ohlins cartridge forks you have arguably  owe their existence to Guzzi.

But they are still really old tech, so by today's standards they may seem a bit crude. I bet they still work pretty well when they are working right.