Throttle Position Sensor- need some pics

Jazzamoto

Consider that all what gets in easily equally easily comes out again. As the shaft is sealed as well as the TPS, anything else just will complicate things. Especially in your case: I see you have Eastern Sierra in your avatar. To me that doesn't sound like salty winter conditions, unless we wanna start a remake of the Global Warming thread, of course.

The shaft seals don't seem to seal much at all once the bike gets some years/miles on it. You can see the lower ones leak by the fuel residue there. So just washing the bike will likely get water inside the throttle body and possibly into the combustion chamber.

I have seen many TPSs on other vehicles with an o-ring seal. I'm sealing it so I can sleep at night again!

I do sealing on a professional basis. The first what fails is mostly the sealing. Next comes hidden corrosion behind it.

Please don't take this personal now, but if you cannot sleep because you're afraid of water sipping into the cylinders along the flap shafts you probably have not many other sorrows. Can you imagine how much water your bike is pumping during the first five minutes in the morning, how much of it is going down the sump and then condenses on the bare metal parts like rods and cams?

BTW, the TPS is O-ring sealed. Ever looked at one?

Thanks. I do understand all that. I'm kind of a noob at posting here but not too much of a noob with bikes, having worked on them professionally for almost 3 decades. I do appreciate other peoples input and insights though.

BTW, the not sleeping thing was meant in jest. :rolleyes:

Do take pictures for those of us not brave enough to take one apart!

Dave, almost forgot. Here's the disemboweled TPS. Just don't stare at it too long. You won't be able to sleep.

The photo is so tiny I had to stare at it for a while. Having only loosened the TPS to adjust it how does it work?

Do take pictures for those of us not brave enough to take one apart!

Dave, almost forgot. Here's the disemboweled TPS. Just don't stare at it too long. You won't be able to sleep.

The photo is so tiny I had to stare at it for a while. Having only loosened the TPS to adjust it how does it work?

Sorry Dave, uploaded the largest high res version from my phone. Don't know it got so small in the process. As to how the TPS works.. I'm still in that primitive state where technology is indistinguishable from magic.

No ? Do you mean TPS in general or this one ? It is a potentiometer....plain & simple . Google or Youtube some info or videos today . Follow up and draw the diagram yourself and practice.....  

Vref---| 

|

>    

>

>  

> 

I

I

Gnd

Vref is reference voltage . It could be 2.5,3,5,6 or 12v . Gnd is ground , earth or whatever you want to call it . The link between these is a resistance of a designed amount . The Signal return is the V return going back to the ecm . The lower the Signal on the scale , the lower V return & vice / versa .

These usually fail at the point they operate at most of the time . Sometime they can be revived with a tuner cleaner / lubricant . Other times you replace them. To test these , start connecting your meter leads until you find two terminals that do not change resistance with turning the lever or knob . Then connect one of the leads to the unused terminal and rotate the wiper . Resistance should change w/o any glitches .

Try it in all combinations til you get familiar with the procedure .  

Once the TPS has developed a worn spot the whole EFI system is irreversibly out of tune. The TPS has to be replaced. There's no way to revive or repair it. The V11 uses a TPS manufactured by CTS to fulfil lawn mower specifications for instance. After 50.000 km you better look for a replacement, they don't last longer.

This also implies that you cannot check a TPS for proper functioning without having proper measurement equipment at hand.

No ? Do you mean TPS in general or this one ? It is a potentiometer....plain & simple . Google or Youtube some info or videos today . Follow up and draw the diagram yourself and practice.....  

Vref---| 

|

>    

>

>  

> 

I

I

Gnd

Vref is reference voltage . It could be 2.5,3,5,6 or 12v . Gnd is ground , earth or whatever you want to call it . The link between these is a resistance of a designed amount . The Signal return is the V return going back to the ecm . The lower the Signal on the scale , the lower V return & vice / versa .

These usually fail at the point they operate at most of the time . Sometime they can be revived with a tuner cleaner / lubricant . Other times you replace them. To test these , start connecting your meter leads until you find two terminals that do not change resistance with turning the lever or knob . Then connect one of the leads to the unused terminal and rotate the wiper . Resistance should change w/o any glitches .

Try it in all combinations til you get familiar with the procedure .  

Actually I was wondering how the mechanical part work.  :ninja:  What does the TPS connect to inside the TB?

I think the Guzzi TPS a PF3?

This might be the PF4 (Harley p/n)  on my EV.  But there is a gap.

988204758916443485ABB2603468C1AE.jpg

Those poor screws,.....

For *whatever* reason, those throttle body mount screws are seriously LocTited, or maybe staked, and never meant to be removed.

When my throttle bodies were replaced under warranty for the pesky shaft drip, we crabbed the frame to get the assembly in and out.