01' Guzzi V11 Ignition Coils Melting (Earthing Issues?)

jcitycash

Can you get a wiring diagram and look to see what might be the matter ? And are you installing the correct coil ? Check the resistance in the primary of the good coil against the replacement coils to see if they are the same .

The coil shouldn't be grounded long enough to overheat.

When the bike is running you have +12 on one end of the coils

The ECU briefly grounds the other end.

Something is wrong with the ECU or you have a ground fault.

If it (Chuck's post) were oil filled aluminium can type coils as usually used with points then they didn't overheat. I had two of them fail because of broken secondary wires.

They were overheating. I came out of the motel in the morning on coil number two and there was coil oil underneath the bike. 

That's hard to understand, with the key Off relay 5 should be open so nothing on the coils

Even if the key was left on Relay 5 should be open

Something is wrong in the wiring for sure.

I think Chuck's over heated coil was on an SP1000, so no Relay 5 like a V11.

Yes.. I just thought it *might* be germane to the discussion. For what ever reason, we have a points ignition and computer ignition doing the same thing. Running a wire directly from that set of points to the coil cured it. I *assumed* there was something going on in the harness, but have no clue what it was.

Yes.. I just thought it *might* be germane to the discussion. For what ever reason, we have a points ignition and computer ignition doing the same thing. Running a wire directly from that set of points to the coil cured it. I *assumed* there was something going on in the harness, but have no clue what it was.
I remember Chuck Ducati coils used to melt into a sticky puddle if the ignition switch was left on without the engine running due to the coils being continuously powered. Could you have had an ignition switch contact not releasing or relay not relaxing causing the same thing?

Ciao

Can you remember the specs of these Ducati coils? Standard >3Ohm coils? Ducati Scrambler 6V maybe?

Sorry can't recall. They were 12volt used on the 1980s bikes like Milles, and my Factory TT2 race bike. White in colour they were.

Ciao

I remember Chuck Ducati coils used to melt into a sticky puddle if the ignition switch was left on without the engine running due to the coils being continuously powered. Could you have had an ignition switch contact not releasing or relay not relaxing causing the same thing?

Ciao

Like I said, I'm clueless.  :huh2:  It was only the right coil, though.  It only happened when it was running, to boot. That was a memorable trip to California.. :)