V11 Lemans 2003 fuel cons. and lambda probe

TomekSZ

Hi, I have such a question. I have Moto Guzzi Lemans 2003 ECU version with catalyst. At the moment I have a whole exhaust system installed from Mistral. Intake tubes, cross tube, exhaust pipes. I have stuck lambda probes into the cross tube. On the fuel map of my ECU I had to turn off the lambda readings because I had interrupted at 3,000 RPM. The interruptions were with the end of the exhalation, the crucifix and the complete exhalation. It does not matter what I exchanged with the probe was a problem. Allegedly a matter of setting, but interruptions occurred despite the play with various regulations, etc. At the moment the motorcycle is very good, but I have a problem with the smell of exhaust gas and gasoline. Do not get me wrong I love this smell :-) but I'm beginning to fear control and if it is not a signal that something is wrong. The second case of a motorbike burns at a sharp city rider of 8 liters per 100 km. 29.04 MPG. On the route should burn about 33.6 MPG (7l / 100km). Are all these symptoms normal? You also burn so much V11? Let's know if there is any way to incorporate lambda and reduce combustion.

Hi Tomek!

Hard to read, you may need to explain terms such as "interruptions" (misfire?), "crucifix" (exhaust cross-over?), "exhalation" (exhaust?). What were you trying here "The interruptions were with the end of the exhalation, the crucifix and the complete exhalation"? Running the bike with only parts of the exhaust? Also, what ECU are you running? Think there is no support for lambda probe in standard installation.

As for the consumption, 7l/100km is normal. 8l/100km is probably also OK for a city ride. I managed to do a bit under 7l/100km on my last tour, however, my bike is on a lean side (think they all are, or risk problems passing TüV/MoT), so it is likely that any intervention will result in higher consumption.

ok, sorry for the translator. I wanted to do well, and came out as usual :)

interrupting are as the engine works at 3,000 rev. have the character of kicks and jerks quite intense - kicks back. Also when the engine is running to feel quite the smell of gasoline and exhaust. In principle, feel them within 5 meters of the motorcycle. Do not get me wrong, I like that smell, but it probably is not exactly the way it should be. 

I have a sports air filter, full Mistral exhaust system, intake pipe, exhaust cross (under the bike), and exhaust cans. I have 15RC - this is the model of my ECU Map, i have European model of V11 Lemans 2003 with CAT. 

I spoke with several V11 owners and in Europe they should burn us about 5.5 l / 100 km on the road and in the city max 7.

I talked with a good mechanic and said that this could be a problem with a broken carbon track in TPS.

Hi Tomek,

ok, here are some tips in no particular order.

1. The average consumption seems to be 5-6l/100km. 8l are definitely too much.

2. Do you have access to the free software Guzzidiag and the required cables (~20€ on Ebay or elsewhere, I can name suppliers if needed) to connect to the ECU? If yes, connect and see

-) if and which errors are stored in the ECU

-) select diagram view in Guzzidiag and slowly open and close the throttle. The PF3C should show two straight lines intersecting at 30° TPS opening.

3. Are the base settings ok? TPS set to 156 560mV (you must use a DMM to measure the voltage, not GuzziDiag) with "choke" cable and linkage between left/right cylinder disconnected?

4. Check if the engine temp sensor in the right cylinder head has good contact. You can use Guzzidiag as well for a first test. Idle the bike (15min are sufficient) and watch if the shown engine temp is reaching 100°C or mor.

5. Disable the Lambda probe using the software Guzzi-Reader/Writer to read/write the BIN and Tunerpro to set the flag in the BIN before writing the changed BIN back to the ECU. I can send you one of my modified BINs if you so wish.

6. Valve play set to a minimum of 0.25mm for intake and exhaust.

7. Cylinders synced at idle using the throttle stop screws.

Cheers

Meinolf

3. Are the base settings ok? TPS set to 560mV (you must use a DMM to measure the voltage, not GuzziDiag) with "choke" cable and linkage between left/right cylinder disconnected?

I thought you last said 157mv? 

Hi Tomek,

ok, here are some tips in no particular order.

1. The average consumption seems to be 5-6l/100km. 8l are definitely too much.

2. Do you have access to the free software Guzzidiag and the required cables (~20€ on Ebay or elsewhere, I can name suppliers if needed) to connect to the ECU? If yes, connect and see

-) if and which errors are stored in the ECU

-) select diagram view in Guzzidiag and slowly open and close the throttle. The PF3C should show two straight lines intersecting at 30° TPS opening.

3. Are the base settings ok? TPS set to 156 560mV (you must use a DMM to measure the voltage, not GuzziDiag) with "choke" cable and linkage between left/right cylinder disconnected?

4. Check if the engine temp sensor in the right cylinder head has good contact. You can use Guzzidiag as well for a first test. Idle the bike (15min are sufficient) and watch if the shown engine temp is reaching 100°C or mor.

5. Disable the Lambda probe using the software Guzzi-Reader/Writer to read/write the BIN and Tunerpro to set the flag in the BIN before writing the changed BIN back to the ECU. I can send you one of my modified BINs if you so wish.

6. Valve play set to a minimum of 0.25mm for intake and exhaust.

7. Cylinders synced at idle using the throttle stop screws.

Cheers

Meinolf

Meinolf, the basic question is whether or not the large consumption is responsible for the disabled lambda sensor in the ECU map. I did it with TunnerPro. The second thing if it is the broken TPS if the probe I turned off to help something - o dont think so, broken TPS - is broken TPS? In my mechanic opinion, I have a broken TPS, but in my opinion something is wrong - I turn on the readings of the probe lampda it breaks the engine and work bad, i turned off lambda in the map it works well but I am concerned about the smell of fuel and excessive burning.