Dipstick Measurement

bbolesaz

Hi, my Scura came with a oil temp dipstick. It has some sharpie markings on it.  I'm would like to be sure what the measurements are.

I found this thread.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13096

but it's not clear.

All I want to know is how far from the top of the threads to the high mark and low mark.  A couple of minutes with your stock dipstick and a ruler would be very appreciated.

I'd like to scavenge on to your thread to additionally determine how much oil to use since my install of the Roper plate. The thread link you posted states the poster now uses 4.5 qts after Roper install. Seems like a lot.

When I get back home, I'll measure for you.

IIRC, Pete said you could go ahead and put in the full 4 quarts after plate installation. 3 1/2 has been working for me since the 90s, don't see any reason to change..besides, you get a free quart every other change.

I've been buying oil in 1-gallon jugs (3.8L). I change the filter every time and just dump in the whole 3.8L (compared to 3.5L recommended in manual.) I just make sure the oil is between the two "rings" that are cast in the dipstick. If I fill it to the top it seems to go down quickly till it finds its own equilibrium spot.