Test Tank

bbolesaz

So, in the old days, with carburetors, you could hang a test tank (like an IV bottle for gasoline) and run the bike with the tank off.

Has anyone seen something equivalent for FI bikes?

Does anyone know how the bike can be run with the tank off?

I'd like to diagnose my breather issue.

The trouble is not in the supply, it is that your regulator is installed on the right side of the tank.  You'll have to plumb the return back to that for correct fuel pressure.

Yep, that's why the old style ones don't work.  I looked at the parts list, but they don't list the specifications for the main or return fuel lines.  I guess I'll measure them, then maybe cobb up some line extensions with vacuum fittings and put the tank on a table next to the bike.

This would work, but very expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Jims-Remote-Supply-Fuel-Injected-Motorcycles/dp/B071YYGKPY

Curious why you need to run the bike without the tank. Unlike on a lot of (more modern) bikes, it doesn't seem to get in the way of anything done while tuning.

Why not just buy 4m of fuel line and some connectors, run it with the tank on the workbench plumbed right up? As long as you elevate the tank, but not too much more than normal (otherwise you will increase fuel pressure), you should be fine. I presume you have an external pump?

Thought about that. But the bike's tank is heavy, un-wieldy and has much more gas than needed to run a test.  Even drained down, the right side will capture a lot of gas.  For a couple of bucks I can have a much safer tool.