Busted breather hose. How much oil mess?

bbolesaz

With, basically no hose attached to the crankcase vent, I would expect a lot of oil to come splashing out, especially as rpm rises.

That said, check also the braided oil lines between the cylinders and the distributor blanking plate.

For sure this is not gearoil from the left rear top of the gearbox where the frame mount can get broken?

Anyone else had a breather hose break?  If so, how much oil came out.  I felt like I was riding the Exxon Valdez.  Easily a pint of oil.

Lots. When I came in to the Wisconsin rally, I saw my friend Twowings from Oklahoma with the tank off his Norge. Grabbed a free beer (after all, it's the Wisconsin rally)  :grin: and went over to investigate. He'd lost 2 quarts in his 700 mile trip. (!) Found the breather hose loose at the air box. 

I failed to tighten a brand new breather hose (on two separate occasions, cuz I 'm a slow learner). Both times, it made a huge mess on nothing more than a 5-mile shakedown ride. I don't know the quantity lost, but it made a significant puddle in the garage. 

I stopped at Auto Zone and grabbed a funnel and 4 quarts.  I re-filled at the first 10 miles or so and then about 1/2 way. Some quick math told me I would make the last 1/2 without draining it dry.  Kept a sharp eye for the little red light.

• Like 1