Rear Axle

sp838

As the title says, I need a rear axle. My bike is an '01, I don't think the part changed over the course of the model life. If anyone has one to spare, let me know. I really just need to borrow it for a while, I can return it if you wanted it back. I am hoping to make one out of 7068 alloy and need a spare for reference. I'd rather not pull mine out and have the bike be immobilized while I'm having it done.

I can be messaged via this site, or directly at maydaymoto@gmail.com

Thanks for your help!

I think I have one from a 2002 LeMans with minor road rash on the non-threaded end. I can check on Thursday if you don't find one sooner/closer. I think the size of the bolt head is larger in later years, but I also think that all other dimensions are the same. However, this is worth verifying, because the wheels are different widths (for 10mm wider tire in 2002 - although the hubs are probably the same width.

1) The swingarms are the same, yes? So, the axle should be the same.

2) The nut on the early axles is 27mm hex tool size.

1) Agreed, but since the wheels are different widths, it's worth being aware before having something machined. SP can pull his and inspect/compare if he ends up with a later axle.

2) Yeah, I think the nuts are the same, but I think the RH sides in 2000 vs 2002 take a different size hex wrench - and I think the 2002 takes a larger wrench.

1) Agreed, but since the wheels are different widths, it's worth being aware before having something machined. SP can pull his and inspect/compare if he ends up with a later axle.

2) Yeah, I think the nuts are the same, but I think the RH sides in 2000 vs 2002 take a different size hex wrench - and I think the 2002 takes a larger wrench.

Ah, gotcha. Wow, my (2000) right side hex drive is 10mm. Bigger than that?

Ah, gotcha. Wow, my (2000) right side hex drive is 10mm. Bigger than that?

Lots.  :rasta: Don't make me walk down to the shop and get my calipers..

I don't know if it helps but I just swapped a 4.5" wheel onto my Rosso Corsa, which came with the 5.5". I reused all the parts from my RC except the bearing spacer inside the wheel, and obviously the wheel itself.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Pretty sure the axle is one thickness all the way across where it matters. Also pretty sure the later wheels have the same hub dimensions, just the wheel rim is wider. My Marvic wheel has a wider rim.

I looked on ebay, my usual source, and came up empty, so Scud, I may take you up on that.

How is everyone??? Been a while. I've had a very busy summer, sorry for not participating. Hope everyone is well.

Thanks guys. Pretty sure the axle is one thickness all the way across where it matters. Also pretty sure the later wheels have the same hub dimensions, just the wheel rim is wider. I looked on ebay, my usual source, and came up empty.

How is everyone??? Been a while. I've had a very busy summer, sorry for not participating. Hope everyone is well.

While you were away:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5556&p=225235

gallery_9560_164_194003.jpg

So, Scud my man, would you be willing to lend me your axle? I promise to take good care of it.

Send me a message with your address. You can keep it. But I might redeem it for a beer next time I'm in NYC.  :bier:

BTW, the axle form the 2002 bike takes a 10mm hex wrench. The axle on my 2000 Greenie takes an 8mm.

• Like 1