Ok, Ill admit it. I'm old and weak.. but I can't *imagine* taking one of the "adventure bike" things off road. Unwieldy? Uhh that's putting it mildly. If your adventure is putting down to the local Starbux for a Latte..maybe. :)

I'll second that motion.

FWIW, and at risk of being hooted down with derisive catcalls and thrown objects for "not being serious," I will supplicatingly submit for your likely contemptuous consideration the modest Stornello.

No, I am actually serious.

Before you hit the "ignore" key, be aware that there is a fellow riding a pretty-much-stock Stornello in Chile "as we speak."  He started from his home in southern California ... en route to Tierra del Fuego!

https://www.facebook.com/johnston.julao

I take mine off road and occasionally even off pavement ...

IMG_20171129_122831700.jpg

... but I do not have the testiculosity to follow in mototrekkin's tracks.  :notworthy:

Bill

Hey Bill - 

Adventure is whatever you want it to be. The Stornello (which I think I would call a scrambler if I had to give it a label) looks to be great fun and more than adequate for dirt roads - and probably even some tighter trails if you want to push it. You just gotta know where you will really ride to find the right bike - and it looks like you found the sweet spot for you. As for me, I am absolutely certain that I am going to drop my new Husky in an awkward spot - and I don't want to be crying about denting my gas tank or scratching up my rocker covers. I'd be sad if put that Stornello into a tree - but in my first 150 miles on my Husky I already hit some branches at about 35mph and put the first "scar" on her.

I don't do Facebook... but I'm sure that is a cool story. And if you think back 50 years, the "dirt bikes" of that era were probably less competent than your Stornello (and some were probably close in weight) - yet they managed to race those old Bultacos and Maicos and Husqvarnas in the desert. As the saying goes, it's more about the rider than the machine.

• Like 2

Hey Bill - 

Adventure is whatever you want it to be. The Stornello (which I think I would call a scrambler if I had to give it a label) looks to be great fun and more than adequate for dirt roads - and probably even some tighter trails if you want to push it. You just gotta know where you will really ride to find the right bike - and it looks like you found the sweet spot for you. As for me, I am absolutely certain that I am going to drop my new Husky in an awkward spot - and I don't want to be crying about denting my gas tank or scratching up my rocker covers. I'd be sad if put that Stornello into a tree - but in my first 150 miles on my Husky I already hit some branches at about 35mph and put the first "scar" on her.

I don't do Facebook... but I'm sure that is a cool story. And if you think back 50 years, the "dirt bikes" of that era were probably less competent than your Stornello (and some were probably close in weight) - yet they managed to race those old Bultacos and Maicos and Husqvarnas in the desert. As the saying goes, it's more about the rider than the machine.

Concur with all of that ... including the "don't do FB."   :bbblll:

OTOH, I am a bit two-faced as, while I do not have an account, I do lurk on Kathi's.   :grin:

FB is a nice place to see pix, etc., of friends and family.  That said, the political comments -- from both sides -- make me sad, so I won't belong or post.  :(

As for mototrekkin, he started using Instagram -- which I do use ... at least to see, but not yet post -- but seems to have found FB easier.

Here's an example of his latest pix, taken yesterday near Puerto Guadal, Chile.  He's WAY down the unroads to the southern tip.  So darn impressive to me.

Best,

Bill

i-VLZ6fXr-L.jpg

• Like 3

Some weights.

"wet" is real world, but "dry" gives a better base line imo. These are dry, and are subject to interweb mistakes, and may vary by model, options (like abs), and year.  I own the * 2 listed Suzukis.

KTM 950 ADV                       454

'06 DL1000 VStrom *            458

'11 Stelvio                              472

'12 R1200 GS (non Adv)       461

'90 Africa Twin                       452

'16 Africa Twin                       458

'12 Super Tenere                   520

'01 DR650 *                           324

'04 Aprilia Caponord 1000     474

SCORE  for the bush pig!

IMG_2002-L.jpg

Continuing the "Stornello as a Legit Adventure M/C" theme ...

Just saw on Instagram that "mototrekkin" is now in Argentina and 600 miles from his goal "at the bottom."

https://www.instagram.com/mototrekkin/

i-TVcpGHn-L.jpg

All this way on a virtually stock Stornello! 

Makes me feel pretty lame when I think about my own Stornello "adventure riding."

I gave him "encouraging misgivings" last fall when he inquired on ADVRider about a Stornello v. a GS, etc.

Only Toofat2fly here said "go for it."  Glad he did.  

Bill

• Like 1

Are you guys with the DR's concerned with all the talk about the 3rd gear disintegrating and turning the engine into a paper weight?  They have a dedicated thread about it over on "another forum".  I have been considering buying a clean used DR for the dirt and fire roads near our place up in Georgia, but the thought of having the tranny eat itself while I'm out in the woods, or worse yet, on the highway going around a fast curve really makes me re-consider.  I really had settled on the DR until I started doing the research. 

Are you guys with the DR's concerned with all the talk about the 3rd gear disintegrating and turning the engine into a paper weight?  They have a dedicated thread about it over on "another forum".  I have been considering buying a clean used DR for the dirt and fire roads near our place up in Georgia, but the thought of having the tranny eat itself while I'm out in the woods, or worse yet, on the highway going around a fast curve really makes me re-consider.  I really had settled on the DR until I started doing the research. 

Short answer- no. Small number of failures and a LOT more owners are a lot harder on their bikes than I. Looks like post '08 is clear of the problem. No science was used for this answer btw. Just my thoughts, considering I have so little invested in the bike. Good luck in your search.

• 2 weeks later...

My Husqvarna 701 Enduro is ready for it's 600 mile break-in service. Here's a video that my daughter and I made from yesterday's 150 mile loop. The first 50 miles from Surf (Sea Level) to Snow (6,000 feet)...

The prior weekend, I took it on a 200 mile desert loop including some deep sand and steep rocky stuff. Dropped it twice (once in sand, once in rocks). The bash-guards did their job, but prevention is better than protection, so a steering stabilizer is on the way.

Other planned mods:

ABS Dongle (turns off Rear ABS)

Tubliss tire system (120 psi inner bladder acts as 360-degree rim lock and allows low pressure in outer chamber).

Overall - this is as close as I've ever experienced to the "one bike that can do it all."

• Like 1