That looks a great ride. There was one of those on EBay UK recently that had a nice looking fairing fitted. You should be able to see it if you look at completed listings.

How tall is the seat? Would I struggle at 5'8"? I've been looking around for a similar type of bike recently, maybe a KTM 690 Enduro or a CCM GP450. I also quite liked the look of the Beta X Trainer 300.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It's a very tall bike. Husqvarna lists the seat height at 950 mm (37.4 inches). But remember, that's on a soft suspension that compresses a lot with the rider. At 6" 0" and 32 inch inseam, I can touch both feet, but usually lean to one side (the uphill side) and put only one foot down. For comparison, the seat on my TE 450 is even higher at 38.6 inches. The only way to know for sure is to try it on. The 701 is basically a KTM 690, except for the fact that is good-looking, and is more street-friendly due to some suspension and engine differences. But maybe you could find a used 690 that someone has lowered a bit.

The Suzuki DR650 is lower, and there are some engine and suspension upgrades available. I seriously considered the "bush pig", but I didn't want to get into another project. And look at these interesting numbers...

Husky 701: 320 pounds, 72 HP, 54 lb-ft.

DR650: 324 pounds, 43 HP, 40 lb-ft.

The Husky's fuel injection is perfect - and required no fiddling when I replaced the stock muffler with a Wings slip-on (saving 6 pounds). It has normal, 6,000 mile service intervals (vs 1,500 miles intervals on my TE 450) and uses standard, disposable paper air filters (no messing with foam filters and oil and solvents). I believe all of this is also true for the KTM, in fact, the Husky uses KTM oil filters (no surprise).

Can you get a Street Legal Beta 300 in the UK? We can't get license plates on new 2-strokes in California.

It's a very tall bike. Husqvarna lists the seat height at 950 mm (37.4 inches). But remember, that's on a soft suspension that compresses a lot with the rider. At 6" 0" and 32 inch inseam, I can touch both feet, but usually lean to one side (the uphill side) and put only one foot down. For comparison, the seat on my TE 450 is even higher at 38.6 inches. The only way to know for sure is to try it on. The 701 is basically a KTM 690, except for the fact that is good-looking, and is more street-friendly due to some suspension and engine differences. But maybe you could find a used 690 that someone has lowered a bit.

The Suzuki DR650 is lower, and there are some engine and suspension upgrades available. I seriously considered the "bush pig", but I didn't want to get into another project. And look at these interesting numbers...

Husky 701: 320 pounds, 72 HP, 54 lb-ft.

DR650: 324 pounds, 43 HP, 40 lb-ft.

The Husky's fuel injection is perfect - and required no fiddling when I replaced the stock muffler with a Wings slip-on (saving 6 pounds). It has normal, 6,000 mile service intervals (vs 1,500 miles intervals on my TE 450) and uses standard, disposable paper air filters (no messing with foam filters and oil and solvents). I believe all of this is also true for the KTM, in fact, the Husky uses KTM oil filters (no surprise).

Can you get a Street Legal Beta 300 in the UK? We can't get license plates on new 2-strokes in California.

I believe KTM own Husquvarna now. I read a couple of comparisons between the KTM 690 and the 701 that suggest that the latter has smoother fuelling and less vibration. I'll have to have a sit on them, if I can reach!

I had an R100GS for quite a long time and I miss the opportunity to take the odd off road excursion. There are quite a few permissive byways nearby on the North York Moors to explore.

Betas are street legal here. I lingered and lost out on a 'good as new' Beta X Trainer 300 last week for £4000. I think the KTM Freeride is a similar concept. Another alternative that's a bit more oldschool, and less expensive, is a Suzuki DRZ 400.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Great ride and video Scud. Looks like the 701 gets closer than anything to that illusive dual sport sweet spot. When the aftermarket seats are available, even closer.

DR's are plentiful, cheap and dependable, with a huge aftermarket resource. They don't compare to the Husky or KTM on about any level, but are a great bike. I will probably always have one.

The 701 looks a great bike. I used to race a 690 enduro (predecessor to the husky) in the UK 2 day rally events. It was a great bike and like you say it could do both road and off road pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...
I rode about 200 miles, mostly street, on my 701 Enduro this morning. There's snow at about 5,000 feet here. I wanted to go up Palomar Mountain on a dirt road from the North (hoping to get a little snow ride), but the gate was closed about 1/3 of the way up, so I turned around.

IMG_7623.jpg

I explored a few offshoots, looking for a way around it, but the roads ended.

IMG_7625.jpg

So I went to the desert instead.

IMG_7627.jpg

Today was my test of the steering stabilizer that I installed last night. I'm glad to say that it works great on rocks and sand.

It also steered my right into Mom's Pie Shop in Wynola where I enjoyed this hot Chicken Pot Pie. This pie shop is about 10 miles from Lake Henshaw, site of the (annual?) San Diego gathering.

IMG_7628.jpg

I was also testing my Giant Loop Great Basin saddlebag on the 701 in anticipation of some future offroad touring. I loaded it with tools and various other heavy items. And still had room for two frozen pies. Chicken, and Apple Crumb. Still frozen solid when I got home.

IMG_7629.jpg

A great day, even though I missed going over the mountain on the dirt road. Next up for the Husky: install the "dongle" that permanently disables the rear ABS, then think about using Tubliss system and what tires to go with it.

(cross-posted to WildGuzzi)

Oddly enough after reading your review of the 701, I drew up alongside one just now at the light. Even though it's in the city I could see, as I followed him, that he was having fun nimbly swinging the bike around underneath him avoiding the potholes.