Scud, there's some VERY tasty big bike friendly dirt roads in So. Utah.  I highly recommend the Burr Trail, it goes east from the town of Boulder UT.  Then, just a few miles SE from Boulder is the Hell's Backbone Rd. that will take you over to Escalante.   South out of Escalante is BLM300 which hooks into Smokey Mt. Rd.  Make sure your brakes work good before starting out on this one.  And finally Cottonwood Canyon Rd. south from Kodachrome St. Park.

Google em.

• Like 1

If I had an adventure bike I would make at least one visit to the Moab area in UT. Arches and Canyonlands have a massive amount of trails, many of them are easy enough to do on an adventure bike. And the scenery is amazing. A ride out to Chicken Corner, across the river from Thelma and Louise point. Or the Schaefer Switchbacks. Or if you really want to push your limits Top of the World.

TopOfTheWorld2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few pics from my almost 2,000 mile trip. I tried to avoid freeways as much as possible. I went through Joshua Tree National Park, Mojave National Preserve, Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Bryce Canyon National Park, Escalante National Monument, Capitol Reef National Park, and Great Basin National Park. Sea level to 10,000 feet. Over 100 degrees through Las Vegas on the way home - but started the day with snow in the 8,000 foot campsite at Great Basin. 

I didn't do nearly as much dirt as I wanted because my LH mirror broke on the second day - just from vibrations I guess. The RH mirror gave up the ghost on the way home. Otherwise, the Stelvio did great - super comfortable. And she's like a camel crossing the desert with that 8.5 gallon gas tank.

IMG_9091.jpg

IMG_9114.jpg

IMG_9126.jpg

IMG_9135.jpg

IMG_9157.jpg

IMG_9173.jpg

IMG_9180.jpg

IMG_9213.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

IMG_9207.jpg

IMG_9215.jpg

• Like 2

Great trip Bruce - I've been thinking about a run down to San Felipe on the Stelvio or the Husky 701.

I wasn't worried about mirrors in the dirt. I was worried about not having any mirrors on the way home I-15.

• 5 weeks later...

IMG_9400.jpg

IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_9322.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

Caught some snow on Monday (Memorial Day Weekend) in the Eastern Sierra Nevadas. Even managed to catch an 18-inch rainbow trout... and some quality time with my youngest daughter. She and my wife both want to learn to ride now, so I think I might be looking for a small dual sport like a Yamaha TW200 or XT225.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bbolesaz said:

Anybody else thinking KTM 790 ADV ?

Purchase one?  Perhaps not.  Ride one?  Hell yeah, the Duke too.

I'd like to know what the reliability and maintainability factor is.  I am quite smitten with my Duc SS.   Not a huge Adv guy.

6 hours ago, bbolesaz said:

Anybody else thinking KTM 790 ADV ?

I was looking into one. My dealer put me off it. They were very proud that their allotment was sold before arrival. They had no interest in getting me on a list, notifying me so I might just look at a sold one when they arrived, or taking my name and number for a possible future sale. I could travel farther to do so, but I don't much care anymore to compete to buy. BTDT, and it's too new to find a used one. A dealer with the upper hand is quite unnerving.

That said, I think it's likely a great bike. Definitely in a class I'm in to.   Maybe in a couple years I'll have another look, ... but there may be something better by then.