Replacement for ITI Speedo

Troutman

I bought that one, had to send it back as it had the common failed mileometer. Gear wheel worn, the needle indicated so the speedo part probably works. He refunded me OK, although I lost out on the return postage. He may relist it as u/s, may be of some use to add a mph dial to a kph item.

You'll probably need new fork springs after saving all that weight.  :grin:

Seriously - that's a good find on that speed sender unit. If I know about that, I would have used it instead of buying a more expensive GPS speedo when I did my Speedhut gauges. Once you verify that it sends a signal from transmission to electronic speedo, maybe you could add it to our Encyclopedia of Compatible Parts?

Will you be able to cover the gauges - or just leave them open underneath the flyscreen?

John at ETB already tested it and said it worked fine..I sent it to him for that reason. Hoping to cover the gauges back up, very easy to install if you don't as you can use the two angle brackets supplied with it but you can't use them and reinstall the covers. I'll take some photos and post what I do tomorrow. 

Here's how I re-used the rubber mounts on my 2003 LeMans that originally had ITI gauges. The metal parts are all from the electrical section of a a hardware store. You can adjust the height of the cross bar on the threaded lamp rod and align the mounts on the slots with lock washers.

I think that image, and several others got PhotoBlocketed on the Speedhut thread. I need to restore those at some point.... I hope this helps you though.

IMG_3119.jpg

edit:  not sure what's gone wrong, but I can't post a picture right now. If you want to see how I did it, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send the pic directly to you.

• Like 1

That's pretty much what I will do only these ETB gauges have 2 posts not 1 like yours. So I will fix another blank plastic disc to them and then drill new holes to fit the M4 dampers. I'll put some photos up soon.

FYI - the Speedhuts didn't have any posts. I glued the lamp-nuts onto the backs and screwed the posts into them. The crossbars are what you use to mount lights into electrical boxes on the wall or ceiling.

So i've hit a big hurdle..

I was under the impression the Acewell S4/Daytona speed sensor would screw straight onto the boss coming out the gearbox...well it doesn't! the male thread from the gearbox is much larger, maybe M14 not M12 like the Acewell.

37979463f31d68a755b6d0f68258f45675ec803a

What's more you can't get a sensor that will have an M14 female end on it so it looks like some fabrication work is required.

The good thing is that the sensor has no resistance at all so with the knurled nut removed somehow it could be held in another way, I was thinking heat shrink tube or something like that. 

It's very tight in there too, very close to the throttle linkage.

22151232ed87b0dc344df9fb714d3cbb0ed33e4c

• Sad 1

Ok so I've been and had a look at things and I've come up with a plan.

I decided to remove the rubber casing/jacket thing around the Daytona/Acewell unit, I did this very carefully with a new blade in my scalpel not going right through just part way and then tearing it.

This allowed me to slide the M12 Cap up the cable and one at a time over the bullet connectors so we end up with this. 

The cable can now be carefully bent down very easily and kept out the way of the throttle linkage above.

47241595fa479f73768bd1c45ce175a73d846ea5

Next was to remove the old speedo cable from the bike and cut the end off so I could remove the large cap and collar/insert thing.

38497479f0dbe45d8ab196d61b554987c7ca361b

The plan is to use this to slide down the new sender unit and use it to fix to the bike :thumbsup: ...only small snag is the collar/insert needs drilling out from 8mm to 9.5 so it can slide down the body of the unit and get held by the flange. I might saw the very end off the small cap as it was made for this. I'll carry on later after a cup of tea.

Everyone keeping up? If there is anything that doesn't make sense please shout up and i'll have a go at explaining better.

• Like 1

I drilled the collar out to 9.5mm, enough to let it slide down the sender body but stop at the end flange..picture explains it.

338289339d1ae010bf09cabf205d230d93f30195

Fits in now

1468543770403e47459a6c5e8d1c1748e49e0af8

This is what i've done with the speedo. I cut a plastic disc out using a 79mm hole saw ( I had one amazingly) from on old 3phase junction box I was going to chuck out.

262764327e2652f2a7c82139232f91ee46465327

Then mounted it to the ETB screws and after much messing about managed to mark and drill the holes for the Guzzi cover. Just need those M4 dampers now.

6189761739b3c1e187805a8c21ab73f0cc74e221

• Like 5

Anyone got a line on a sensor that actually fits?  My bike has a 45 degree adaptor that keeps the cable away from the FI linkage.  Is that missing on yours?

Well this does fit..It took me about 10mins to do, it's very easy. You just need a 9.5mm drill bit and a way of holding that collar, i did it in my press. It's a 3 core cable coming out , it's 5mm diameter, very easy to manipulate out the way of the linkage. The actual unit is tiny, look at it in my dirty fingers, it's about 30mm long. No need for machine work or adaptors. I'm thinking of going forwards with mine so under the FI unit.

• Like 1

The wiring is very simple too.

I took power and earth from one of the two bulbs that came out the ITI unit.

7925956115074fa449f743360f29dbbf00cd933a

The green is power for the ETB speedo so I doubled that and put a male bullet connector to connect for the Daytona sensor. Same for the Earth. The Yellow Signal from the Daytona sensor plugs into the ETB Yellow which makes it easy. That's it!  There's a hole load of other wires for various inputs into the ETB speedo. I just tied these up.

The little button I am going to put up through the left handlebar hole in the tope yoke (this is because mine has had clip ons fitted so the original handlebar holes are still there). This will mean I don't have to drill that lovely dash.

The M4 dampers arrived today so I'll get on and fit the speedo now. £5 from eBay.

52766891259ecacd6908c9e6540ea4d89e888d8d

• Like 1