rear bevel box

shiloh

Do you have to recheck the play and possibly use a different shim or should it be good to go?

I'm afraid to ask what that big bearing costs...

That big bearing is @ $95, total rebuild was under $300USD, A lot cheaper than a new box if you could find one, there @ 3g`s new, stupid `spensive.

Everything went back together and within spec, thank dog, I hate waiting for stuff.

I also replaced the wheel bearings, they`re dirt cheap. Should also mention that there are 2 O-rings that should be replaced as well if you`re ever inclined to rebuild one of these, one on the wheel side and a big one that seals the cover once its locked down with the 8, 8-1.25mm bolts,never though to snap a pic of its location, sorry :homer:  was so excited to get this back together.

oh, and thanx for the kind words, my pleasure for sure, This is a great forum with lots of knowledge and how too`s, happy to be here.

Did you theck the pinion support bearings? That's a weak spot and known for failing. Radial play there and you need special tools and sometimes really expensive parts.

As you have changed the big gearing you should also check the contact pattern between crown and pinion, the more as your end drive might have been a Monday after Siesta example. That's why Dave asked you about reshimming.

Yes I had my buddy bike mechanic (specializes in European bikes) do that checking for me as he has all the specialized tools, he gave me the thumbs up, and a bill for $50(some friend :bbblll:)

Now onto the the forward grease fitting, I bought a needle fitting, hopefully I`ll be able to squeeze some grease in that way.

Pretty easy to pull the swingarm from where you are now if you can't get to the fitting.

yup looks like thats my only recourse, what a stupid maintenance design. Lets tear the bike apart to get to one grease fitting!!

Yes I had my buddy bike mechanic (specializes in European bikes) do that checking for me as he has all the specialized tools, he gave me the thumbs up, and a bill for $50(some friend :bbblll:)

Now onto the the forward grease fitting, I bought a needle fitting, hopefully I`ll be able to squeeze some grease in that way.

I got to mine ok with the bike up and rear wheel off, and with a needle fitting.

I got to mine ok with the bike up and rear wheel off, and with a needle fitting.

I have no problem with using the angled fitting and just greasing the Mighty Scura with it sitting on it's wheels. The Kid, however, couldn't do it on his Greenie.

"They said it couldn't be done, so I tackled it with a grin." 

I couldn't do it either. There is enough difference between the 00 and 02 chassis to make doing the early ones an involved operation.

Filled the rear box with oil last night and left it sitting on the bench, no leaks so far.

If weather permits and I can get the new tire on, that'l be the acid test, its been cold and rainy up here for the last week. I can do cold, but I'm a little allergic to wet.

I have no problem with using the angled fitting and just greasing the Mighty Scura with it sitting on it's wheels. The Kid, however, couldn't do it on his Greenie.

"They said it couldn't be done, so I tackled it with a grin." 

I couldn't do it either. There is enough difference between the 00 and 02 chassis to make doing the early ones an involved operation.

No doubt, there is *something* different  about the early Sport that makes the front U-joint nearly impossible. :huh2:

I have determined to just pull the swingarm every third rear tire change and see to all the business within. :luigi:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the rear end all mounted, new tire and a fresh set if irridium spark plugs.

Fired right up smooth as silk, left it on the service stand and ran it up in second gear, again smooth as silk, no leaks, but unfortunately unless we get a break in the weather, road test may have to wait till spring.

Other than greasing the propeller shaft, was a pretty easy fix. The gear box looks pretty good in satin blk.

Cheers

• Like 1