rear bevel box

shiloh

Ok, fascinating. :nerd:

#12 is really "needle" or actually balls?

(" . . . the inner support needle bearing #12.")

Yes, needle, exposed to the gear oil, so always lubed, same as #26

Like "roller" bearings? Not like the nefarious little *needles* in the flinky outer cage on the right by the swingarm?

Ok, fascinating. :nerd:

#12 is really "needle" or actually balls?

(" . . . the inner support needle bearing #12.")

Yes, needle, exposed to the gear oil, so always lubed, same as #26

Like "roller" bearings? Not like the nefarious little *needles* in the flinky outer cage on the right by the swingarm?

12 and 30 are both listed as needle bearings. Judging from the pictures they are big needles.

None of the bearings is over stressed when 12 is missing, no end drive prone to grenade-ing because of that. Wobble they do anyway.

Well thats good to know then, gotta love over engineered stuff.

Mystery solved

So the right side of the crown is normally carried on #12 And without #12, that side of the crown is carried on the seal #10?

Maybe mine would be less likely to leak without the carrier bearing (or more likely?)

(I realize the rest of the crown has bearings 26 and 36).

The crown is supported by the rear wheel, on this don't know how you call it greasy spline thingy with the cushions under it, one side, the other side goes on the axle with bearing 36. The crown feels perfectly well without any housing at all (lateral/axial forces neglected here). Go out, jog it and see how loose it sits.

The other 3 bearings, the big balls in the housing cover, the small needler and the ominous 12 only carry the housing.

The big ball bearing takes also the reaction forces coming from the pinion which act in axle direction. You see that the crown is shimmed only from one side, that's the direction in which these forces go.

Please ask what I meant in case you find any silly words in the above :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

pic, on reassembly, parts arrived today.

Big needle bearing about half way in, you can see the new inner seal and thrust washer(not bronze by the way)

I used a big thick washer to gentally tap the bearing home, liberally lubed to help

001.jpg

005.jpg

Fully seated

006.jpg

Spacer tube in place

007.jpg

Crown gear big support bearing, axle bearing and big outer seal

003.jpg

004.jpg

cir-clip and inner race on crown shaft

008.jpg

Crown gear in place

009.jpg

Shim, the holes in the shim and cover only line up in one position

010.jpg

011.jpg

8x1.25 bolts torqued to @ 20ftlbs( 25-30Nm) screw down as you would a car tire, criss-cross pattern, being cast alum I would imagine it not to be too robust.

012.jpg

All assembled, nice new satin blk paint job, the oem finish was pouched, flaking and the under laying casting was corroding.

013.jpg

Will be back on the bike as soon as I figure out how to get grease into the front zerk on the shaft, and get my new rear tire(avon av66) mounted.

Cheers

• Like 2

I did get a reply back from the PO, he claims the rear end was never dismantled, and according to the service records that he provided, I have no reason to doubt him.

Do you have to recheck the play and possibly use a different shim or should it be good to go?

I'm afraid to ask what that big bearing costs...