Intermittent starting

vents

Seems this is pretty common on these bikes , but when I say intermittent starting I mean that sometimes when I hit the starter button then engine spins normally and sometimes I get absolutely nothing . I thought my switch was dirty but I took it apart and cleaned it and it's still the same .

What should I do at this point ?

Most common cause of silence when hitting the Start Button is bad connection at the two "bullet" connectors on the left side of the frame under the tank that connect the Clutch Safety Switch.

Try holding in the clutch and keeping the Start Button press while swinging the bars lock to lock and see if it catches.

Otherwise, clean, crimp, seal, and "groom":

DSCN1472.jpg

Shown here on a Rosso Corsa with the tank still on. Tight to get to.

• Like 1

excellent Docc, thank for the pics .those are very helpful as I despise electrical issues . will check those for sure .

I kind of thought the issue was with the kill button at one point because it seemed like I could cycle it a few times and the starter button would come back to life . Not so much yesterday though. 

Try turning the bars lock to lock while activating the starter. This often affect the connection of the clutch switch bullet connectors enough to know that is what is causing the failure.

It could also be the kill button,ignition switch or stand/neutral switch& relay on a 2003 but if you hear the pump prime they likely are ok

But it's most likely as Docc says

The two bullet connectors and the clutch interlock switch are in series with the start button and Start Relay, listen for a faint click.

• Like 1

It could also be the kill button,ignition switch or stand/neutral switch& relay on a 2003 but if you hear the pump prime they likely are ok

The two bullet connectors and the clutch interlock switch are in series with the start button and Start Relay, listen for a faint click.

thanks KR , you can hear the pump everytime . . . .  good stuff ,  did I mention that I hate electrical stuff !?!?

thanks KR , you can hear the pump everytime . . . .  good stuff ,  did I mention that I hate electrical stuff !?!?

Moto Guzzi

Making Electricians

Out of Riders

Since 1921

• Like 1

Tell me I've got those two hoses back where they belong .. I got in a hurry when I pulled the tank . 

Looks good to me. You're talking about the two smaller ones going to those two hard to reach tank nipples, I suppose. If in doubt, take the hoses out or leave them unplugged, They're for venting resp. overflow. Mine are out since I removed the tank the second or third time, hurting my fingers.

• Like 1

Tell me I've got those two hoses back where they belong .. I got in a hurry when I pulled the tank . 

Looks good to me. You're talking about the two smaller ones going to those two hard to reach tank nipples, I suppose. If in doubt, take the hoses out or leave them unplugged, They're for venting resp. overflow. Mine are out since I removed the tank the second or third time, hurting my fingers.

Thank you....I figured out finally that the the upper tube attached to the bottom of the tank was a vent . I'm still not sure what the lower one with the hose clamp is though . Just curious as I don't have a manual yet .