Small throttle openings light switch ...How does your's feel?

mznyc

Bike is running sweet,I do my own tuning and with MG Ti cans been very happy with her for years,except,on very small throttle openings,rolling off and on for turns,like a light switch sometimes.Have never re-set the TPS with the software,only with a meter and have had a Mistral mid pipe I've been wanting to install for a while so when season ends for me in 4-6 weeks think I'm gonna take a stab at GuzziDiag and TPS re-set,A/F and a FI balance.Just feels like the TPS doesn't know where 0 is...Anybody else experience this?

might need a small adjustment to the "trim", you need software to do that.

I believe that is the Air-Fuel mixture,which I would also do with the software....

On my bike, where the throttle cable hooks to the throttle tube(at the handlebar) there are 2 positions for the cable, smaller or larger diameter pulley. Mine was in the larger, quick turn position. I tried the small diameter position and it did help control the transition coming off closed throttle.

Then I realized I liked the quicker turn throttle so I put it back. :bike:

And you aren't supposed to use Guzzidiag to set the TPS. You"re doing it the right way if you are using a digital voltmeter.

I agree that the trim setting is really important at idle and at small throttle openings. If the trim setting is off the fueling can be lean right off idle, and throttle control will imprecise and annoying.

• Like 1

On my bike, where the throttle cable hooks to the throttle tube(at the handlebar) there are 2 positions for the cable, smaller or larger diameter pulley. Mine was in the larger, quick turn position. I tried the small diameter position and it did help control the transition coming off closed throttle.

Then I realized I liked the quicker turn throttle so I put it back. :bike:

That's pretty cool,never noticed that,I'll check it out....But sure the TPS/Co reset will do wonders for her,shame as she is humming everywhere else in the rev range...

I ran my Sport for too many years with the CO Fuel Trim set at minus 27. Andy York corrected it for me. One of the three or four greatest things ever for my  V11.

So, if your CO is off *a little*, correcting it will likely help the idle. If it's off *a lot* it can help everything about the fueling.

YMMV B)

To make a long story short.. when you said

Then you will like that the CO setting won't have much affect above closed throttle and small throttle openings. The rest of the time it should run like it runs now.

I found when the Mighty Scura was set -40 from where it should be, not only was it doing a lot of lean stumbling at small throttle openings, I was getting 50+ mpg. (!) Normally, it gets high 30s.

Understood, and not trying to be argumentative, but on a big displacement bike, at cruise speeds, the throttle will usually be barely open. Maybe 10 to 20 percent at most. That is usually largely what determines fuel mileage in my experience.

A good way to see the real effects of the trim setting would be to check it with an air/fuel datalogger. I don't have mine yet, and I just got my non-crossover headers, so now with no air leaks to mess with the O2 sensor, I can proceed with the tuning.

I'll admit I will probably be too lazy to ever get around to checking exactly what the trim setting does. Maybe someone already has.

Meinolf?