Drive, Gear, Motor oil...

brubache

Consensus on oil?   :grin:  

I think we can all agree that it's good to keep oil in all the places it's supposed to be.

FWIW, I'm just following the owner's manual specs as closely as possible. I was using RedLine heavy in gearbox and final drive. I may stay with that in the final drives.

I remain confused about all the letters and friction modifiers and motorcycle vs car oil - since most motorcycle oils are for engines with wet clutches and that doesn't apply to Moto Guzzi.

You didn't ask, but I like using DOT 5.1 hydraulic fluid, which typically has a higher boiling point than DOT 4.

• Like 2

Oh, boy.. an oil thread. Where's that popcorn emoticon?  :helmet:

yeah , they're fine until egos and opinions get involved.  How about those who are willing just state what you're using and leave it at that ?

I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic in the gearbox and rear drive of my '81 Lemans . In the engine 20w50 Castrol GTX and always changed it before 2k miles . All I can tell you about any of that is that it worked . That bike has 55k miles on it.  I haven't decided what I'm going to run in the V11 just yet.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll play. :) Currently, Motrex 10-60 syn in the powerplant, and Redline shockproof light in the transmission and rear drive. 

I ran the Centauro (similar architecture) 42K miles on Mobil 1 V twin and Mobil 1 75W/90 in the transmission and rear drive without issue.

Using synthetics, I change once a year or every 6K miles. Filter once a year.

If a guy is willing to change more often, I'm sure that any quality SG rated dino oil from around 20-50 would be fine.

Why Shockproof light? Many if not most run heavy. Heavy is so tenacious that if you follow a regimen of drain and measure, quite a bit of Heavy will stick to the gears and you will overfill (especially) the rear drive. BTDT.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.. :rasta:

• Like 1

Castrol 75-W140 Synthetic plus MoS2 for the gears, Liqui Moly 10-W40 MoS2 partly synthetic for the engine. I seldom change the engine oil, just fill up when the light comes on, that's after about 6000 km. I have to add that the V11 seldom sees a run shorter than one hour.

I believe in MoS2, not so much in the carrier oil. All my bikes and cars believe the same and don't make any problems.

In the V11 Sport:

-Engine Kroon 10w60

- Gears Castrol SAF XJ or later synths (75w140)

In the California '82:

- Engine 10w40 (10  Euro / 5 liter supercheap). These specs are much better than '82 specs.

- Gears also the castrol SAF XJ

Crankcase: Eni I-Ride 4T 20W50 (Fast By Ferraci ships for free)

Gearbox: Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil ("strawberry") (Amazon)

Final Drive: Motul 31721L Gearbox 80W-90 Molybdenum Bisulphide (Amazon)

I swore off the RL Heavy long ago from its tendency to "cling" and contribute to overfilling/ possibly contributing to leaks. After seeing those awful images from the inside of one of Scud's gearboxes with the gigantic clots of RL/Heavy: never again. I imagine how much the actual circulating volume is reduced by those gigantic clots of goop.

Motor: Redline 20W-50 Group 5 Full Synth/ 5,000 mile changes

Gearbox: RL ShockProof "Lightweight" (blue)

Rear drive: still leaks :bbblll:

• Like 1

what are you using in it ?    or did I miss something ?  was really curious as to what you are using in that high mileage test unit of yours. thanks   

what are you using in it ?    or did I miss something ?  was really curious as to what you are using in that high mileage test unit of yours. thanks   

I have used everything imaginable in the Sport's *checkered* reardrive.  :huh:

I'm currently considering sawdust as an additive . . . :wacko:

Seriously, if you ever look at that image of what Scud found with RL Red/Heavy in the gearbox, it will give you pause putting it in anything. It is not for the squeamish to cast their gaze upon . . .

I swore off the RL Heavy long ago from its tendency to "cling" and contribute to overfilling/ possibly contributing to leaks. After seeing those awful images from the inside of one of Scud's gearboxes with the gigantic clots of RL/Heavy: never again. I imagine how much the actual circulating volume is reduced by those gigantic clots of goop.

Motor: Redline 20W-50 Group 5 Full Synth/ 5,000 mile changes

Gearbox: RL ShockProof "Lightweight" (blue)

I'm far from disagreeing on RL heavy, but the jury is still out for my use of it. I've been in my tranny a couple of times since I started using it, and the strawberry shake always looks as one would expect. Yeah, it's thick and clingy, but nothing like scuds encounter. I'll continue with it till I see something I don't like.