Drive, Gear, Motor oil...

brubache

^

Back by popular demand... my shockproof heavy encounter session.

This is probably not fair to Redline, because this tranny sat idle through a couple winters before being transferred to San Diego. But it does raise questions about whether one should use such a thick oil in cold climates. 

The Redline heavy seems to be quite good. I think it made a small improvement in my K75s transmission. I bought a gallon of it and am going to at least use it in final drives until it runs out.

• Like 1

Uhh, the original premise was..

yeah , they're fine until egos and opinions get involved.  How about those who are willing just state what you're using and leave it at that ?

I might have been the first to add an opinion. Sorry.  :)

FWIW - even though I had to spoon out the blood pudding, split the cases, and flush with diesel fuel, I would still feel comfortable using RedLine heavy. Just do the oil changes on time.

Back to oils, I'm using Maxima synthetics in engine and tranny now. I'm changing engine, transmission, and final drive at 5,000 mile intervals.

That goo in scuds tranny looks like it's mixed with something. Like water from condensation. A part of life in the mid west.

Agreed. Yet, I had already struggled with misjudging the change volume in the reardrive (overfilling).

I'm not saying it's bad lube, just *be aware* of how much of it remains in the cases.

If that was a tendency, for the RLSPH to turn to goo, it seems like there would be a lot of complaints out there on the interwebs. People pulling the drain plug and nothing comes out.

What I remember is all the positive reviews, unless maybe I have blocked out the bad ones.

Per footgoose, isn't that goo kind of what it would look like if it was an emulsion of water and oil?

How about those who are willing just state what you're using and leave it at that ?

My apologies for the inevitable diversion. :blush:

Back to our regularly scheduled program?

I don't get how you are supposed to state what you are running without that being your opinion of what is good/best.

Disclaimer: beers may have impeded my ability to understand such points.

I feel better already about my going astray . . . :bier:

(My comments about RLSH/Heavy are just my observations.)

luhbo, is this the choice for MoS2?

2009.jpg

• Like 2

All right: "my bad" . . . :blush:

The RedLine products are extraordinary and use full synthetic group 5 base oils. The "ShockProof" (as I understand) incorporates a synthetic "moly-like" (molybdenum disulfate / MoS2) substance to protect against the high shear of gear contact.

Great stuff. Love their products and the ShockProof series should be on everyone's list of "lubricants of interest" for the gearbox and reardrive.

It is just the "RLSP/Heavyweight" that may deserve some extra attention on fill volumes and extended change intervals. :luigi:

• Like 1