Drive, Gear, Motor oil...

brubache

I using whats recommended in the service manual,

The guys that built it should know best, I hope, maybe :D

The red line stuff may be ok, but after cleaning out my rear drive, I`m staying away from it.(bike came stuffed full of it.)

Transmission drain and flush is next, I hope diesel will get rid of all the the red stuff, it was hard enough cleaning the rear drive while opened up, some sticky shyte it is.

A lot Guzzi people used the KalGard additive back in the '90s . The stuff from Harper's may be the same thing . It was in a box of goodies I got with the '03 Sport when I bought a month ago .

gear-oil-moly_orig.jpg

In my experience, diesel fuel was a good solvent for the congealed mess, and it should be even better with RL Heavy that's still in serviceable condition. Keep in mind that there are lot of gears between the rear cases - it will take a while for the red stuff to work it's way out. Assuming you're doing this with the tranny still on the bike - and that you're anxious about it being lumpy, you might flush it with a full liter (or more) of diesel and ride it slowly in your neighborhood to give it a chance to go between all the cases and into the shift mechanism.

It's crazy sticky... but that is what makes it so effective.

• 2 months later...

Guys im about to change the gearbox and final drive fluids. Previous owner gave me a quart of the Red Line shockproof V twin Transmission oil. I believe thats what he was using. I am assuming its ok to use in both boxes?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Look for GL-4 and GL-5 ratings. The "ShockProof" products don't have the GL or "weight" ratings, as I recall.

The gearbox will go on GL-4, but the bevel boxes get GL-5, *from what I understand*  . . .

Beware of overfilling!

the book calls for liquid molly additive for the rear end.  (I'd have to look up the volume amount, sorry)

Yessir! 350ml of gearoil , 20ml of moly additive (Guzzi used to sell a final drive product, premixed. Seems Motul made it up for them, as I recall.)

Ok Im going to go with the redline vtwin shockproof in the gear box and the redline heavy in the bevel box. Seems thats what mines been run on with no issues im the 6k miles ive had it. Ill watch out for the fill levels! The heavy is GL5 GL6 rated

Ok Im going to go with the redline vtwin shockproof in the gear box and the redline heavy in the bevel box. Seems thats what mines been run on with no issues im the 6k miles ive had it. Ill watch out for the fill levels! The heavy is GL5 GL6 rated

Just be aware that is very easy to over fill if you drain and measure. It's so tenacious that it all doesn't drain out.. 

• Like 2

voicie, what color is that "V-Twin ShockProof?" Does it look just like the pink Heavyweight?

Docc its bright red. The heavyweight hasnt turned up yet so cant tell you if tbey appear different

• Like 1

You'll know it if you overfill the rear end....... You'll have a trail of gear oil behind you and then a gusher when unscrew the overflow!   

It's like Jed Clampett.   :grin:

I think the simple thing is to fill it.  Once it starts to overflow, just put a rag under it and grab a beer.  Comeback and and screw in the plug. 

It's science. 

• Like 1

I went to Cycle Gear today to get all the lubes to service the EV and Sport.  The bill was $111(!).  I got Belray 80wt gear oil for the EV.  I had to open the "V Twin ShockProof" to see that it was the red stuff.  

Of course I had go to several bike stores to kick tires and to "shop" for oil.  One of the shops took over the Suzuki business after local guy Gerald decided to quit the franchise.  I usually bought Suzuki mineral oil 10-40 for my Bandit.  I was always able to get it from Gerald for $20 a gallon.  The new shop had it priced at $81 pre tax!  Holy Mary Mother!  (Sorry, not raised in that faith.)

The Ducati shop was still not talking to me about the SS, the two bikes have been sitting there since Labor Day.  Told them how nice the guy was in Dallas letting me test drive one.  I was looking for some new bar end mirrors for the Sport but no close outs so that was that.  They had a used Super Duke KTM GT 1299, bags and windshield but it was $16k used (it was new for $20k+ at the KTM store).  I bet it's a total monster.

Got up to 55 today.  Should be riding but still too cold to service.  Funny, you can ride in nice weather but you need warmer weather to work on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed servicing fluids on the Greenie.  First drain since the transmission rebuild.  The mechanic told me he used some expensive lube.  Don't know what it was but it came out black and gooey.  Looked liked it came out of the read end, so perhaps it had moly in it, or maybe it was slag from the repair?

Filled it with the pink stuff, seemed to shift noticeably smoother.  

Did the normal service, valve adjustment, fluids, oil filter, gaskets, cleaned the air filter, and installed Scud's fuel hose. 

Next will try the LED headlight bulb.

Great riding weather, almost got 70 today.  It was 7 Tuesday morning. 

• Like 1