What are the best upgrades for Lemans 850 MK3 1983?

pco27

Modern rubber ?Does the tire size restrict your choices ?

It can be difficult to find radial tires in "vintage" sizes. This is an issue on my K75s as well. Some have solved it by mixing and matching brands to get a pair of radials on the bike. Weirdly, the cheap Shinko tires work well on it. The K75s is a 1992, but introduced in late 1980s - so I'm assuming wheel sizes are similar. (BMW is Front: 100/90-18.  Rear: 130/90-17). Handling is surprisingly nimble, yet stable, on that bike - and will improve after I get the forks done right.

Hey Tim,  yea the sizes on the lemans are 100-18 front 120-18 rear so not a lot of choices.  It still handles surprisingly well for the vintage.

Thanks groundhog15 

I like the Ohlins MG140 I think adjustablitily is limited....

Also eyeing up the front disks full floating which MGcycles have, would be interested to hear how they go if you get them on anytime soon.

I didnt realize the Zard exhaust had a stepped header.....that would change the tone again....I'm currently looking into reverse cone mistrals....rather tasty 

Yea the Zard is a beautiful stainless system, a work of art really but not cheap. I’ve been holding off on the brake kit because the stock brakes are working good. The kit consists of 300 mm rotors, up from 270 stock and the bracket to move the calipers out. I also have Brembo 4 piston calipers to put on at the same time. I think your Lemans already has 300 or 320 mm rotors. Ed Milch also makes adapters to use the 4 piston calipers on your bike.

• Like 1

The standard Young Timer tyre comes from Bridgestone, the BT45. I know, that name hurts in italian context, but I have no good experiencies with Conti in this segment. The BT45 works perfectly.

• Like 1

I had my 850T3 flywheel lightened by turning a 1/4 inch off the outside, not forgetting to remark the timing positions, and fitted 950cc barrels. Kept the original carbs. After all the time it took to do the work I can honestly say I did not remember any huge change, felt much like it was before the work!

• Like 1

I had my 850T3 flywheel lightened by turning a 1/4 inch off the outside, not forgetting to remark the timing positions, and fitted 950cc barrels. Kept the original carbs. After all the time it took to do the work I can honestly say I did not remember any huge change, felt much like it was before the work!

without jetting changes , it is possible it wouldn't have felt much different .  I don't know how much weight 1/4" equates to but it's possible to remove a few pounds from those flywheels .

but I agree , If I had a real nice 850 I don't think it'd be worth it to me to do the work  .

how about a lightened flywheel ? I haven't tried it on mine but that was a very common mod on the Tontis .

Oh yea, I forgot to add that. I had Ed Milch lighten and balance my flywheel and ringgear. Revs noticeably quicker. I also had Sean Fader shim the transmission and replace the plastic cage bearings with steel. Also one other thing I did was to put in a EME 450 watt magnetic charging system so I could run electrics and additional lighting and also get rid of the weak stock system.

• Like 1