Workin' on the oil leaks

Moto Murphy

Well after a summer of riding my 2002 V11 Red/Gray Le Mans it's time to address the oil leaks. I ordered a complete set of gaskets to replace the old ones from the valve covers to the bottom of the jugs. I'm going to remove the valve covers , the heads, and the cylinders. I'm not going to disassemble the valves from the heads, but I'm going to clean them out. I had surgery on my right foot in early October so once I get out of the walking boot I can begin the work. My riding season is over unless we have some ware weather this winter.

I lot of oil leaks can be caused by over pressurization of the crankcase. Make sure the breather system is clear and working properly too.

• Like 1

Make sure to get all the O-rings too. Six small per side on the studs - and one large per side for the cap in the head that gives access to the top head nut.

Are you doing the timing cover gasket "while you're there"?

Scud,

Thanks for the 411. I didn't know about the O rings. I'll have to get those. I still have a few weeks before I can get to work on it. I'm still in a walking boot and I can't get around very well.

Can anyone tell me the proper torque for the nuts/bolts on the heads. What I mean is the blots that hold the heads and jugs to the crankcase? I have the torque amounts for the valve covers.

Scud,

Got a question: if I'm not going to remove the rockers and valves from the heads, do I need the O rings you are talking about? Forget the question. I was looking at my digital service manual and see that I will have to remove the rockers to get to the head bolts. I then went to my parts catalog and got all the part numbers including the washers for the rockers.

Can anyone tell me the proper torque for the nuts/bolts on the heads. What I mean is the blots that hold the heads and jugs to the crankcase? I have the torque amounts for the valve covers.

If you are going to be doing engine work, you need "the book." 

Moto Guzzi workshop manual - V11 Sport, V11 Le Mans, V11 Rosso Corsa, V11 Café Sport, V11 Ballabio (

2003 April

) [English] - supplement to the V11 Sport workshop manual

It actually leaks around the cylinder bases or head gaskets? That would be so uncommon.

Otherwise, I would not take those parts off for leaks from other places

I have the book on a disc. If I need pictures as a reference I put them on my phone.

There's a handy page near the front with nothing but torque values, including the one you asked about. That page is worth printing or keeping as an easy access file on your phone.

It actually leaks around the cylinder bases or head gaskets? That would be so uncommon.

I agree. And if there's a small leak from the head gasket, it's worth trying to re-torque the heads first to see if that stops the leak (or slows it to a tolerable level). But then... if the gaskets are already in the mail and you like wrenching more than watching basketball, go ahead. I can understand that too. 

I agree. And if there's a small leak from the head gasket, it's worth trying to re-torque the heads first to see if that stops the leak (or slows it to a tolerable level). But then... if the gaskets are already in the mail and you like wrenching more than watching basketball, go ahead. I can understand that too. 

There are O-rings between the rocker arm assy. & cylinder head. Replace them and clean the leaky area between the head / cylinder with Brake-Kleen and you're done !

I went to the manual section B page 12 and found the values. They are given in Nm. For example: Head Nut is 40 divided by 42= .952. Does they mean the torque value is 9.5/10 lb.ft.?